Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlie2003_gw

Shark Steam mop....easy or hard to push?

charlie2003
16 years ago

I bought a steam mop and there is quite a bit of resistance when pushing it around. Should it be easy or hard to push? Should the white cloth thing be damp whilst mopping? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Charlie

Comments (14)

• slibstorff
    16 years ago

I just got my steam mop yesterday. So many people on this site were raving about it so I had to get one. Paid $80 at Kohl's and this was 10% off. Quite a nifty little gadget. I found that when the pad got dirty it became alot harder to push so I changed the pad and it got easier. Where is a good place to buy pads? How much flooring can you do with one pad? The directions said to use distilled water does everyone do this? I didn't have any so I used tap water. I think I still like my hoover floormate better but the steam mop was alot quicker and easier to use. I think I will use the steam mop for touchups and still use the floormate on my thorough cleaning day.

• cearab
    16 years ago

It does get harder to push once the pads get dirty. BBB evidently sells the replacement pads 2 for $19.99. If you have one of their 20% off coupons, it's a good deal.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

charlie2003
    I also think it depends on the flooring type. I have noticed the difference of ease on different flooring surfaces my self. I think itÂs the micro fiber pads. . Back when they made the pads out of a different material, it was much easier to push around with no resistance at all. After a few washes, I think it does get a bit easier.. Just think of the big muscles you will have! LOL
    Ree

slibstorff
    I use hot tap water, never used distilled. I also have the hoover floor mate. I think it does a great job as far as cleaning the floors. I use that once a week, then I steam clean the rest of the week. When I had my old shark, I hardly ever took out the floormate, with the new shark, I do not use it as much as I did my old one. They really changed them and I really don't think they are better "improved" but still a great thing to have..I love the idea it is a fast, effective way to wash the floors..my next venture is the Lotus sanitizing system, and I will also try their mop.
    Ree

• charlie2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody. Just wanted to check nothing was wrong with the mop, sounds like it is just fine. Will get a workout meanwhile. :)

• shaun
    16 years ago

Ree that's a good idea to fill it with hot water. I was using cold. I'll do that today!

• cearab
    16 years ago

I've been using cold water as well, never thought about using hot tap water (duh). I have to do the floors today, so thanks for the tip.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

I always filled it with very hot tap water first...
    let me know how you made out.... Ree

• kbuzz18
    16 years ago

I just bought the steam shark mop and it leaves a film on the surface. I have laminate flooring. Any body have experience using the steam mop on this type of flooring?? Is it damaging the surface or is it from a build up of soap and gunk??? Any suggestions?

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

kbuzz18
    It is a build of soap residue coming to the surface. It may take a few times, but you will get it off. The steam mop is only "hot water". keep going over it and you will have squeaky clean floors.
    Ree

• kbuzz18
    16 years ago

Ree-

Thank you. That eases my mind. I was getting a little frustrated.

• brmhilda6_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Keep seeing that the film on the floors is old stuff and it will go away. I have used the steam mop four times and still am getting a film. Getting very frustrated. Really like the job it does, but with the sun shining through onto floors, they just look awful! Do I still keep trying?

• caavonldy
    13 years ago

I am a 70 year old woman with arthritis. I can't get down on the floor to scrub. My husband bought one of the Shark steam mops and I love it. I finally have clean floors again. Even I can push it around my kitchen without problems. Now if only I didn't have trouble with it getting into corners. It is really hard to use a toothbrush in the corners.

• juju222
    12 years ago

I have had the shark steam mop for 10 months. It is getting harder and harder to push around. My back aches for two days afterward. I don't know if not enough steam is coming out or what!
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    I use distilled water and follow all directions for cleaning the pads.

• juju222
    12 years ago

OK, two months later...I feel like a dodo. I was having trouble pushing my mop around. Well, when I mopped I wasn't unwrapping the cord all the way from its holders on the handle (because I don't like to trip over cords)...so it was never totally unwrapped. One day I unwrapped it, and VOILA! much more steam and the darn thing zipped around the floor. YAY!