Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoover WindTunnel - Difficult to Replace Brush Roll?

Posted by gilmoregal (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 08 at 19:19

I have an older model Hoover WindTunnel (Model 6445) that I plan to send with my college-age daughter as she moves into an apartment. It has not been used in several years but otherwise just needs to be cleaned up and have some routine maintenance done. A local vacuum dealer looked at it, but his charge to clean it up (excluding any parts) started at $50, so I decided to see how much I could do myself. I have already replaced the belt and the filters and am considering whether to replace the brush roll since the dealer mentioned that it should probably be replaced soon. A replacement brush roll is not too expensive, but I don't know if this is an easy DIY project. Are there good reasons to have it done by a professional? Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoover WindTunnel - Difficult to Replace Brush Roll?

The brushroll is very easy to replace. You said that you changed "the belt". There should be two. If you replaced the brushroll belt, you would have taken the brushroll partially out, so you were halfway there in replacing the brushroll. Get the new brushroll, then remove the old and put in the new the same way. Belt pulley side of brushroll goes in on side where belt is located. Line the endcaps, so they slide in the groove, of the housing properly.

o

Thanks, geguyww - that is good to know. The belt I replaced was the flat, wide belt. I found it a little tricky to replace - first getting it around the motor shaft, then getting it on the pulley - but with a little help from DH we managed. Hopefully replacing the brushroll won't be any more difficult than that. Do you recommend replacing the brushroll belt? I did not notice any obvious wear on it, but as long as I'm replacing the other parts, I will replace it if recommended.

o

You must have replaced the power drive belt. The agitator belt goes around the brushroll. If you have not changed the belt recently, it would not hurt to replace it at the same time and start fresh. They are not that expensive. Plus, you are going to have the brushroll out anyway. If the belt is not stretched at all, then keep an extra belt around when the time comes. A stretched belt will not grip the brushroll, so it will not turn the brushroll and clean efficiently.

o

And if the vacuum looks a little scuffed up, they usually do, get a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser and wipe it down with that. Rub a little harder on the scratches and scrapes and they'll just about disappear. Finish off with some car wax or Armor all if you have it. You'll be amazed. Those Magic Erasers are a miracle on scuffed and scraped plastic.

o

Thank you so much for all of your help. If all goes well, it should be almost like new and may even be a better vacuum than some new models. I 'upgraded' from this 6445 to a WindTunnel 6439 and was never happy with the newer model. Hopefully with the replaced parts, this one will continue to work well for several more years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here