Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you wax formica? Or make it look nicer?

Posted by fiddleddd (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 17:24

We're getting ready to sell our house, and we want everything in tip-top shape. Our Formica countertop has a few surface scratches that you only see in a certain light, and I was wondering if there is a product I could use to minimize their appearance. Wax? A special formula for Formica?

I'd appreciate any help folks. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you wax formica? Or make it look nicer?

You can use Gel Gloss on laminate, which is what your Formica is. Personally, I would grab a can of car wax and rub that on the counter and see if it hides the scratches.

o

We had real formica in our house when we bought it in 1981, apparently original from the 1950's. In kitchen and bath. After cleaning with bleach, I rubbed car wax with "carnuba" on it. It made it shiny temporarily but had to be re-applied pretty often. Apparently not waterproof. Good luck.

o

I've used a supermarket product called Countertop Magic. It's one of a line of "Magic" products in the cleaning aisle. It comes in an aerosol can.

I found it makes the formica look shiny and generally refreshed. This was on thirty year old, butcher block type laminate, which really didn't show scratches much anyway.

It's very temporary, and is easily washed away, so needs to be repeated often to maintain the shiny,new look.

My counter is gone now and I'm waiting for my new counter in my new kitchen.

I actually think something like Pledge might achieve the same nice, but temporary result.

o

yes and you can use car wax on your appliances & tub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here