Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_v_gw

washing wood

susan_v
15 years ago

I have solid cherry woood furniture-about 35 years old -very good quality & am wondering if I can use Murphys Oil Soap to wash it. It needs to be cleaned not just dusted. Will this harm it at all? Thanks for the help!

Comments (5)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I don't use a water based soap on my furniture.
    wipe with mineral sporits....which will remove old was and greasy soil....but not sugar or milk spots. For those gently use awater based cleaner....Murphy's is good.
    But don't wash your furniture with soap and water.....and Murphys is just that soap and water and will cloud certain finishes and wet the wood in spots where the finish is scratched or chipped.
    I don't use it.
    Linda c

• groomingal
    15 years ago

Most importantly what type of finish is on the piece of furniture? Is it oiled or is it varnished?

• susan_v
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is varnished wood which is why I would not think mineral spirits would be safe to use on it.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Mineral spirits won't soften dry varnish nor shellac not laquer. But water will cloud shellac and laquer.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

Go to WalMart & in the automotive center get a container of GOOP. Cheap & environmentally friendly. Mechanics use it to clean their hands, so you know it's safe. If your wood is really dirty, apply the GOOP with 0000 steel wool. If not, just use a rag, then wipe off. If your furniture isn't slick as glass, then reapply till it is.