Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New DW detergent tarnishing silver?

Posted by chambleemama (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 16:12

Since we started using the new, phosphate-free DW detergent, I'm noticing that my silver flatware tarnishes about twice as fast as before. Has anyone else noticed this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New DW detergent tarnishing silver?

I don't ever put my silver plated utensils in the dishwasher. I hand wash them and even hand dry. Keeps them clean and tarnish free. I have a set of stainless steel for every day use and they can go in the DW without any problems. Just my experience.

o

In practice, I'm with jannie. In fact, phosphates are discouraged when cleaning silver or silver plate. This is a stumper b/c I'd deduce it wasn't the detergent at all but one of the myriad other reasons (touching stainless steel in the DW, water too hot, other detergent fillers/builders, etc.)

o

Sigh. I know this goes against the grain: My Mama used nothing but her sterling flatware, three meals a day, and to my knowledge she ran it all through her dishwasher for 24 years, once she had a DW. It did not harm it--I have it now. Mama had a drawer lined with Pacific cloth, including a loose cover, where all the flatware was stored. I wonder if what I'm noticing is a result of the water-saver features of this DW. I may end up hand washing, but I'm not going down without a fight!
Thank you both for answering!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here