Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gracie_2006

Removing odors on furniture

gracie-2006
18 years ago

Help! Any advice on how to get rid of body odor on cloth sofa and chair ? Caused by a couch potatoe!! My girl friend asked me for advice, I thought I could ask here for your great ideas!!!

Comments (4)

• sue102
    18 years ago

You could have it professionally cleaned but that might be a bit pricey.

Have you tried using Fabreze on it? I spray my furniture with it about 3 times a week and it really does help.

Sue

• gw:gracie-2006
    18 years ago

Sue102, Yes my friend said she tried using Fabreze and it did not help. I wonder if she used it more often, as you mentioned, if that might help?

• lizql
    18 years ago

Wipe it down with a Borax solution. Or if you have a realy good vacuum, pour it on dry, let it set for awhile and vacuum it off. Read the ideas on the box. There are some good ones on there. That's 20 Mule Team Borax. You can get it in just about any grocery or Walmart.

• starfaced
    3 years ago

Totally have to try in batches. If it doesn’t work with the first pass of baking soda, be prepared to do it a half dozen times.
    Rub it in and wait, then go over it with a good vacuum with plenty of suction. Do it a few times, be prepared. My problem was, the couch was not colorfast so I couldn’t use water. Renter did not vacuum furniture with a good vac. I assumed I’d be tossing it, but it was good except fir the old smell, not smoke or pet hair, but just as unpleasant. I don’t want to cover the smell up, people don’t agree on a good scent, and now you’ve announced a telltale problem. Herbal tea bags, coffee grounds in a coffee filter, there’s no smell everybody likes long term. You want to absorb and not cover up. Use houseplants. Philodendron is best. At night with no traffic, put houseplants on the couch with cushions removed. The plants will draw the odor out. Creative placement during the day, but before bed, give the furniture a direct hit by placing plants on dishes, right on the couch. Works over time, completely. Continue to use baking soda, but be prepared that it will take numerous doses. Don’t be stingy. I never knew if I should rub it in or sprinkle it on, so I did both, special thickness to corners. Depending on location and whether you’re having guests, drape the couch completely with a sheet or bedspread. You can douse white vinegar on a beach towel, place it to get covered overnight. If you drape, you’ll be giving vinegar or baking soda time to work, concentrate the action.
    Leave a dish of vinegar underneath the sofa, on the floor. The idea being...it’s going to take time, frequency and persistence.
    Wood ash has smell neutralizing properties. Redwood shavings like pet bedding. But plan your work, no fire hazards, leave yourself a note to remove or replenish, use it on a metal cookie sheet beneath the couch. Persistence.
    If it’s any conciliation, new furniture can stink to high Heaven.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio