Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning a brick floor

Posted by oopsie913 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 15:31

I am wondering what i can use to improve the look of our brick front hall in our house. the brick looks stained and light and dark splotchy. is there something that can be used to make it look shiny and more evenly colored. I have used various cleaners like vinegar, diluted bleach. just plain water, spic and span, but i am looking for some sort of cosmetic trick. Anything here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning a brick floor

Brick flooring on a patio can be very beautiful. Sometimes, though, cleaning a brick floor can be quite exhausting. Learn how to properly care for brick flooring and prevent salt-buildup from occurring. Fill a bucket or pail with warm water. Add powdered dishwashing detergent to the water. Dunk the stiff-bristled scrub brush into the pail and begin scrubbing your brick flooring. This will prevent and eliminate white residue build-up on the surface of your bricks.

o

scrub ! scrub and scrub is the only solution for cleaning bricks and some of the times it is more suitable for glass bricks and help a lot in cleaning..

o

yes Cosmetic Tricks Galore and Save your elbows, Don't Scrub! Stain the bricks if you cannot clean them. The strong chemicals needed to clean bricks will also remove some of the color and move the dirt around from the inside producing a splotchy uneven look. When cleaning brick masonry, chemical products containing acids and a few sulphate-based ones work well. Go to Home Depot and ask for a "Zep" brand cleaner for masonry. The sulphate cleaners work when used in combination with a hi-pressure washer or with a steam clean pre-soak and rinse. By staining you make them relatively the same color. Since its a floor it will be easy to apply. Home Depot has their "Behr" line of acrylic based stains for concrete that are light in viscosity and absorb well. For denser less porous bricks a petroleum-based stain (H&C brand) will be needed to penetrate. The problems with scrubbing by hand are the many, many washes needed and that the bricks tend to soak back most of what you pull out and show signs of the coarse bristle brushes needed to clean them. I have used ice melting salt with powerful degreasers to absorb the grime and oils on very dirty road brick successfully. But there is some wait time involved with this approach and attention needed to humidity levels so that it doesn't dry out too quickly. Hope it helps! info@rmstoneworks.ca

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here