Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgal63

How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor

lgal63
14 years ago

I have purchased a property that has what I believer is a plastic shower floor (not a slippery fiberglass material). It is pretty old and somewhat textured. I have tried every conventional cleaning product as well as baking soda, vinegar and bleach. I have scrubbed it like crazy numerous times so I know it is "clean", however, it looks as though it has never been cleaned - absolutely disgusting. I don't even want to step into it. I've see some of the posts and would love some additional feedback as to what I could try. As a last resort I will use a refinishing kit, but I've got to beleive there is something that will take away the terribly grimy look. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Comments (38)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Last year I cleaned my plastic lawn chairs. 3 years of sitting outside had them grungy beyond belief. I did them with lestoil right out of the bottle. I put it on my damp rag and rubbed. You would not believe how clean they came. Then I rinsed with the hose. On the other hand it did practically nothing for my planters.

I think when plastic gets so old, the grime gets right into the plastic and it won't come out. They do have a plastic paint out now and maybe that's the way to go or see if the paint made for fiberglass tubs will work on what you have

• graywings123
    14 years ago

It is probably as clean as you are going to get it. I would go on to the refinishing kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum

• wiredgirl
    14 years ago

Did you try the Mr. Clean eraser? That is what cleaned mine, and it was bad.

• kellyleeann
    14 years ago

I hope that I can help...I have two options for you to try.

I have had luck with both....as well as the Mr. Clean Eraser as wiredgirl mentioned.

1. Soft Scrub with bleach and a Magic Eraser, wet the shower down, turn off the water and squeeze out the soft scrub on the floor. Take the magic eraser or Mr. Clean eraser and scrub.
    2. Bounce fabric sheets, this also cleans the glass and side walls of your shower as well. I get in the shower turn on the water and let the shower get good and wet. I turn the water off and take about 5 sheets and start scrubbing...be careful not to slip!!

Hope this helps, let me know how it works!

• jimbo23833
    14 years ago

1. Get can of Easy-Off oven cleaner non-fume (blue can)
    2. Shake can well and spray liberally on shower floor
    3. Let sit overnight
    4. Rinse thoroughly

I just did this on my textured plastic shower floor that I have been unable to clean with bleach, ammonia, acid, or other substances which I hesitate to mention.

The floor looks brand new. No more slipping and sliding on black soap scum.

• overgrowner
    13 years ago

I used mr clean eraser and limeaway did the job

• annedanie
    10 years ago

Whoever posted the easy off oven spray tip. Thank you so much it really works great. I was worried I wouldn't get my security deposit back because of the condition of the shower and tub surround. Thank you again ðÂÂÂ

• emma
    10 years ago

How do your showers, toilets, ovens, etc. get so bad? I lived in my last home for 25 years and this one for 8 years, neither one has ever had to be cleaned like the ones posted about. I don't understand how they can get so bad.

• mdln
    9 years ago

LOL, I also used oven cleaner and was amazed. Because it is a strong alkalai, please be careful using it (wear gloves, don't mix with other chemicals).

• jules8
    9 years ago

I also tried Easy-Off in the blue can and it worked amazingly well. I would recommend it. I made sure to keep it off of the fixtures though. I didn't want to risk any damage to them.

• ScotGidley
    9 years ago

Use few tips to clean a disgusting plastic shower floor, the tips are such as spry a dry shower floor and let it soak for few minutes, your next step is scrub the floor with nice scrubbing brush, and then rinse the plastic shower floor with warm water, you can also scrub the floor using soda with water. Apply the above and clean your plastic shower floor.

• Nicole Hoffman DeBauche
    9 years ago

CLR in the grey jug/bottle. Using rubber gloves attach a spray nozzle to the bottle or pour it into a clean empty spray bottle. I like to adjust the nozzle so it kind of comes out foamy and clings to the surface of the tub/shower better. Spray until thoroughly saturated. Let sit for 10 minutes. Wearing your gloves, you may now clean the area with a magic eraser. Voilà. The CLR doesnt smell the best so use it in a well ventilated area. It will not damage the tub or shower surface. It will not damage metal hardware on your tub or shower. Water has natural components that stick to surfaces over time. The grime most people see is stuck in the residue that the water has left over time. Remove the residue and you have a clean shower. I tried many products and this is the only one that takes the water residue off the surfaces. I havent used any other product now for years. Throw away all the stuff advertised for cleaning your shower or tub because this is the only product you will need. All the others are a joke. Oh and I will add that its safe for a septic tank. It also removes rust stains left behind by razors and cans. It will also make your sink fawcett look like new. Soak a crazy shower head in it as it makes it flow like it did when new.

• rwiltz1
    8 years ago

I read the post on using Easy Off to clean the plastic textured shower floor. I have also used everything under the sun for umpteen years to no avail. I am happy to say the Easy Off worked. Who knew. Thank you so much for the tips. Magic Eraser is great also.

• Michelle Fedor-Curtis
    8 years ago

I would like to thank Jimbo for posting the easy off solution to cleaning the shower floor. I was skeptical at first because usually I'm not so lucky as to have a solution that works on the first try. I am pleased to say that it now looks exactly like the first day it was I stalled. I will be making sure that I have a can on hand from now on. Anything else this can of miracles can do?

• karenfrye99
    8 years ago

Norwex makes an oven cleaner that is amazing and doesn't have fumes! much more environmentally\y friendly, enzyme based, but it works amazing on ovens. Although usually best when small amount of heat is used (in oven you turn temp to lowest setting).

• John Wheeler
    8 years ago

Jimbo23833, awesome! Did the easy off oven cleaner overnight! Perfect, have been scrubbing this with all the suggestions for the past three years and this is the first that truly worked and also with the least amount of work! This was the best suggestion ever! Tub is just like new with little to no effort. Thanks five stars

• Marko Carrigan
    8 years ago

I think this goes in something mdln taked about with pH but I found that baking soda and water will work wonders for plastic shower enclosure. Just add a bit of baking soda and the algae comes right of the plastic leaving the plastic intact. I wouldn't put my hand in the fire it doesn't ruin glass enlosures but it sure works for plastic enclosures.

• itsme292
    8 years ago

Going to try the Easy Off on my shower! It also works wonders on the glass door to my pellet stove. To keep your glass shower doors clean, put Rainx on it after you have cleaned it. Thanks for the Easy Off cleaner for my shower floor! Off to go try it! :)

• cedelchef
    8 years ago

There's another thread here about the shower floor with an easy answer. From Mesoinc_hotmail_com use WD-40 spray on, sprinkle with baking soda or Comet, scrub with a sponge. Takes very little elbow grease. Follow the cleaning by a quick cleaning with Dawn as the tub is very greasy. It's awesome!

• sassysonshine74
    7 years ago

Jimbo thank you so very much! I have used every product you can think of and Easy off did it! Oh yeah Emma your comment was crazy. I have lived in my CLEAN home for 20yrs and the plastic shower floor has always been a problem no matter how many times I cleaned it. Dirt and oil gets trapped into the plastic and makes it hard to clean. Thanks again Jimbo and I will also keep the Magic eraser on hand, thanks Wiredgirl

• Aubrey Shiner
    7 years ago

Don't waste your time trying to clean or refinish it. Just rip it out and put in something easy to clean.

• Cathy Barbagallo
    7 years ago

Good for you Emma.. You must be some sort of cleaning machine. Back in the real world....

We are in a refurbished home, and I clean regularly (well, enough when you work full time and have two kids under school age), and our shower has builtup dirt on it. I can't work it out. I have tried a number of products, including just scrubbing hard with an abrasive. CLR doesn't do anything. Willing to try oven cleaner, but it doesn't seem reasonable to rip it out when the fixtures are two years old.

• Aubrey Shiner
    7 years ago

You could try Norwex's Descaler. It's pricey, but worth it on some things. It cleans stuff off that other products don't even make a dent on. It hasn't been able to get off all the stains on our plastic shower, so those mysteries are permanent.

• Sharon Oliver
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My last home had the plastic shower-tub, & wish I had this advice then! It is ridiculous builders install cheap crap so hard to clean! Reading this, you'd think it's some industrial thing or fishing boat when just trying to clean dam bath! I hope never to have plastic again.

• mrsgym
    5 years ago

I would be worried that if you use Easy Off and leave it set for 24 hours, it might screw up the finish of your plastic or fiberglass shower. Mind you, I'm just wondering.

• Joan Little-Brock
    5 years ago

Jimbo I can't thank you enough. Easy off works like a charm with no negatives. I am just stunned. Like you I have tried every product and approach I could think of. This is the greatest.

• Green Frog Cleaning
    5 years ago

I have the best tip for you to keep the home floors spotless. Cleaning floors don't have to be a massive task if done properly. Make sure to use only natural solution for cleaning because if you use harsh chemicals then it will be harmful to your family health. Along with the natural solution, you can also use a steam cleaner to clean the plastic shower floor.

• HU-490276000
    5 years ago

My dirty shower floor was caused by a messy tile person. The floor is textured and just looks really dirty. I tried scrubbing with Comet without much success. Thoughts?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    5 years ago

There seems to be four EASY-OFF® products. which one are people suggesting?

• graywings123
    5 years ago

Easy Off fume-free in the blue can.

• ngcurt
    5 years ago
    We had one of these in a camp in Vermont. Lots of rust in the water. The thing that ALWAYS worked was The Works, which I got at the dollar store. Squeeze it on, sponge it around (don’t use the sponge with the abrasive side, that scratches it),leave for a few minutes, and the dirt just melts away. Rinse. Lot less scary to me than the idea of using an oven cleaner in my shower.
  • Amy Casil
    4 years ago

I'm personally going to try the Easy Off blue can method. That said - I've been using ZEP cleaning products and they work much better than any of the other commercial ones. Prior residents of this place we are in put the cheapest possible no-slip strips into the shower. They collect disgusting dirt and grime and when I take one off, there is a mark underneath.

• carotx
    4 years ago

Bar Keepers Friend will clean it.

• Daniel Spittlehouse
    4 years ago

Easy off blue did the trick!!!!!!!!

• HU-722639163
    3 years ago

Algae, grease??? How do you people live??

I was wondering how the yellowed plastic could be brought back to white..

but hearing some of these stories , what’s the point in cleaning anything if you only do it when it gets to the point of mold of algae.. try cleaning more than once every 5 years and hey Who knows maybe it’ll save you and your family from being at the doctor every month .. people who have to live places with dirt floors would kill to have ur problems ... GROSS!!!!!

• PRO
    Art d'Rector
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I was doubtfful - but Easy off in Blue can worked great!

• Liz Bagwell
    5 months ago

OMG I've tried everything but oven cleaner....glad to see this