Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White dishes with brownish spots on outside?

Posted by pkramer (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 15:24

Hi all!

My everyday dishes are plain bright white that run through the dishwasher. While the eating surface is staying white and is clean, the outside or bottom of the plates are taking on a brownish tea colored stain. And not just the dishes but the white pet food bowls also. I use the Finish powerball detergent and Jet Dry.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how I can clean this up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White dishes with brownish spots on outside?

I would try another dish washing cleaner to see if that helped. Is your water extremely hard water?

o

Emma, our water is Lake michigan so no softner is needed. I will give another brand a try. I was using Cascade but it was leaving a nasty white film on my glassware and the finish does not do that.

o

If it were me I would call a plumbing repair shop and ask about this. A plumber found the cause of a roof leak in my home and repaired it, when a roofer could not. Your dish washer my not be working right.

o

While I don't exactly know what your talking about, I've had Coffee Cups stain other dishes in the dishwasher, while using Powerball.

You may be able to undo the Browning with a Bleach based detegent like Finish or Cascade Gel. I think Citric Acid (Lemishine, Finish Booster) can also remove it, but don't quote me on that..

On a side note, Does Powerball ever leave White Spotting on your Flatware? I've had that happen so many times, I just gave up on those tablets :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here