Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric dustpan, Eye Vac?

Posted by suzycentri (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 13:48

I tried to search for this, but couldn't find anything, so if there is a thread out there talking about these, could someone just point me there?

I did not put central vac in my new house because I thought they were silly. Now, of c ourse, I've found this website and hear how much everyone loves them. I could probably retrofit, but with radiant tubes running through every floor joist, it's probably not in my best interests to do that. (My husband might murder me in my sleep if I suggest putting even more in the walls and floors.)

So, I stumbled across something called an Eye Vac. I've also seen it called Eye-Vac and Eyevac (I'm trying to be search-friendly). It's an el ectric dustpan.

It's 20 inches tall, 9 inches deep and 12 inches wide. It has to be plugged in.

It seems like it would be like the kick-plate dustpans used by central vacs. I found one for $80 on Sam's Club's website.

Does anyone have one of these, and do you like it?

Here is a link that might be useful: One of many Eye-Vac links

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric dustpan, Eye Vac?

I'm wondering if they have enough "suck". They have super reviews, but you know how those can be.

o

This is nothing new. Salton tried their hand at it with their Westinghouse SweepEZE unit. It was not successful or it would still be around. This unit, you are referring to, looks almost identical to the "Westy" version.

I do not want to discourage you, but here is why it may not be successful. You purchase this machine that sits in an area of your room. You have to bring all the swept dirt to that unit. You also get the privilege of emptying it and cleaning the filters.

With a dustpan, you can take it anywhere in the house. It is quiet and does not cost as much as the electric "vac pan". If you do not want to bend over to sweep up dirt, they do make good dust pans that have long vertical handles. No bending necessary.

o

I had a friend who bouight a house with central vacuuming already ionstalled. She didn't like it at all.

o

Central vacuums can be retrofitted; I had one installed almost five years ago in my 70-year house. I LOVE it, & so did the woman who used to clean for me. The vacuum tubes run up inside the walls. The number of tubes & outlets depends on the size & layout of a house. Mine is 1,950 sq ft & I have three outlets, plus a dustpan outlet near the back door.

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't have the dustpan - it's so loud I seldom use it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here