Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Formica Countertops

Posted by zipster (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 11, 09 at 13:37

I just had new formica countertops installed in the kitchen and bathroom. I would like to know how to clean them to keep them new looking. So far I just wipe them down with water on a miracle cloth.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Formica Countertops

I lived in a house with laminate counters for 13 years and that's basically how I cleaned them. For stains, I used soft scrub with bleach.

o

I bought a bottle of Lysol for kitchens; for when I get raw meat juice, etc. on the countertops. Little did I know that it cleans great too.

o

I've always just used soap and water and when I had a stain I'd use a little bleach. Mine are light beige and currently 21 years old. There is a product called Counter Magic, sold at HD that will keep them shiny.

o

try making a paste with baking soda and water and use an old toothbrush, You can scrub out the stain and it won't scratch. It will look like nothing happened.

o

I have always used soft scrub once a week, but every night I just wipe them down with soap and water. If I get a stain I use the baking soda also. It works great on red fruit drinks.

o

Any all purpose cleaner or disinfectant and a cloth is fine. To give them a shine, buff on some Counter Top Magic (sold at Home Depot and most stores).

o

Thanks for all the advice. I will get that Counter Top Magic next trip to Home Depot.

o

Thank you for suggesting Countertop Majic. I used it on my new counters and they look beautiful and are so easy to wipe up anything. Water just beads up. I love the stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here