Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_37

Lotus Sanitizing system

Donna-37
16 years ago

Finding that there are so many places on this forum to post my results, I decided to just start here.

So far I have used the spray bottle with just cold water, charged on the base to clean and a microfiber cloth....

Stainless steel dishwasher. Cleaned it like new. No smudges. No streaks.

Linoleum floors. Cleaned very well. I need the Wetmop for sure. A friend is ordering one and going to let me know her results.

Textured tub surround. Nothing I have ever found to clean it as well as this. I just sprayed and walked away for 15 minutes. Wiped down with a microfiber cloth and it was clean. Even seemed to me to remove limescale. Left the faucet sparkling.

Black appliances. Left them spotless and no yucky residue. I know it is safe to put food on my counters because I have sanitized them and no need to rinse. I did it with water! Saves so many steps in cleaning.

The insides of my fridge are clean without having to remove the food.

Mirrors. I swear I am the worst at mirrors. My son, a "glass man" by trade begs me not to clean them and to wait for him. He was over and I showed him my skills. :0) He watched me fill the bottle with plain, cold water and charge it on the base. Then clean the mirror. He looked me square in the eye and said I had switched the bottles! That there was no way I did that with plain water. So I walked into the kitchen and opened my dish cabinet and sprayed my "miracle water" in on my dishes and ask him if I would do that with a cleaner? Just to prove my point.

Gunky kitchen wall by the stove. Here again I just sprayed and walked away. When I went back I was able to remove all the greasy gunk with just a little elbow grease. I have tried everything on that wall and had to work a lot harder with chemicals than just using this system.

Next test is going to be the bathroom walls. I need to paint in there and the walls need cleaned first. They are way overdue for a coat of paint. I will keep you posted.

Comments (119)

• zipster
    16 years ago

Ree how can you keep everyone straight on here, no problem mixing me up with someone else but you did remember my husband and thank you for asking about him. He still has severe breathing problems and has no physical endurance. But we take each day at a time.
    Now do you immerse the nebulizer or just spray it? I still haven't gotten it.

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not Ree but I also use a neb and I would not rely on home sanitizing methods on something as important. I have always been told to replace the tubes and mouth unit.

I called the company and was told for maximum sanitizing a minimum on 2 minutes "contact" time on said object.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

zipster
    I use the bowl it comes with, and put the parts in there.
    I just started using the Lotus for the parts. What I have always done is, wash the parts in warm water and a mild dish detergent ( I use an organic one) Then, I soak the parts in hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes, rinse well with warm water, and let the parts air dry on paper towels. After two, to three weeks,( depending how much it is used) I change the parts ( my kids doctor is great, she gave me a bunch of new parts) now that I have the Lotus, after washing them, I put them in the bowl to sanitize..I take them out and put them on paper towels to air dry. I was skipping the peroxide and using the Lotus after washing them..now I am wondering if it does sanitize enough..hmmmm??? but, I would not just use that alone...

I feel for you and your husband Zipster. I can only imagine how hard this is on you.. just know you are always in my thoughts... at least we can jump on here and take our minds off things for a little while (smile)

Let me know when you get it, I really think you will like it.. Ree

• melindy
    16 years ago

Ladies, you've convinced me to try this! Bought it at LNT this evening. Will get it all set up tomorrow. I'm excited about getting rid of the box of cleaning agents under the sink. More space and less chemicals, what a great deal.

• cj47
    16 years ago

LOL, hey Melindy--did you get that LNT 20% off coupon too? That's what I used when I went in to buy mine from LNT yesterday! I charged up a bottle of water and lo and behold, my windows have never looked so streak free and nice with so little effort--and that wasn't even with the fancy cloths that came with it! The chrome bathroom fixtures too, I am quite impressed--a spray, a quick wipe and they're really sparkly. Way better than any of the spray cleaners that I have used in the past. I zapped my kid's orthodontic retainers and they came out smell free and shiney. Sprayed down my son's mattress and it no longer smells like a gym locker room in there. On to fruits and veggies and the interior of my fridge. I'm liking this new toy...and I'd never heard of it till I read about it here. So much for "As seen on TV", "As discussed on Garden Web" is so much more believable, in my opinion!

Cj

• melindy
    16 years ago

One must never shop at LNT without a coupon! I have a bunch in my purse, none of them are indate, and yet it doesn't matter. Gotta love it. Just got the last of "the dudes" out of my house from the granite counter top install. The old tile counters caused a very messy demo, and there is a layer of dust on everything. Can't wait to get cleaning, well can't wait for the house to be clean. I want some sparkle!

• melindy
    16 years ago

OK, so I must know this - do any of you get a real "mist" with the spray bottle? The best I'm getting is a squirt with big drops....

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine works perfectly. You are turning the adjustment nozzle I am sure. Maybe there is a clog in it? Or the tube not tight in the top. If not I would call the Company and tell them.

• marie26
    16 years ago

Can you spray eyeglasses with it?

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do all the time! They come out sparkling!
    Basically, anything that can get "wet" can be cleaned/sanitized with the Lotus.
    I put my toothbrushes and scrub brushes [not together] in the veggie bowl and clean them too.
    They Lotus can also be used to clean dentures/bridges.
    If I have any leftover water I use it to water my plants.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

melindy
    I don't get a nice fine spray from my bottle either..large amounts of water comes out..I have tried adjusting it, but always comes out the same...I thought that was the way it worked until dashmo said she doesn't have that problem...
    maybe we should call the company and ask for new bottles??
    Ree

• melindy
    16 years ago

ree,I think we should get a new bottle or a new cap. I did call last week, but got a message about large call volumes. It's after hours now, so I just sent an email. I'll let you know what happens. A mist would be much better for freshening fabric, etc.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

melindy
    I haven't had the chance to call..that was a good reminder..thanks! I will call tomorrow also. I was actually going to buy a new spray bottle and just pour the charged water in that because I really do not like how wet everything thing is after I spray. I'll see if they will send a new one..let me know what happens, hope you hear back from them soon.
    let me know... and visa-versa
    Ree

• melindy
    16 years ago

ree,
    received a reply this morning - they will send me a new nozzle. That should solve the problem. I thought about dumping it into another spray bottle, figuring that the oxygen couldn't disassociate that fast, but then decided that maybe it could.

dashmo,
    How are your hands looking? I was intrigued by the "off label" use and started to spray my dog. He gets crusty spots on his skin. He's on a special diet, has special shampoo, etc. but eventually the crusties come, and then it's back to the vet for a course of antibiotics. I'd love to avoid that.

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can not believe how many tiny warts I HAD! They are gone. I did nothing special. Just handling the cleaning rag.

Thought you might like to know that the Lotus water will not....I repeat NOT remove skunk odor. Ugh! Seems my little Miss Doggy thinks skunks are fun. She went face to hiney with one night before last. You would think that it would be easy to get skunk off a hairless dog but sadly, no such luck. She came running in the dog door with skunk all over her and plopped on the carpet. Hubby snatched her up and ran to the tub. She is fine but not a lick smarter.
    Needless to say, I spent all the next day trying to get the smell out of the carpet and the fiberglass tub enclosure. Nothing has worked for the tub. If you have any ideas I would love them. I am going on day 3 and I can still smell skunk.
    I have tried:
    Vinegar
    Baking Soda
    Borax
    Odor-ban
    Scrubbing bubbles
    The Lotus water
    Burning a really strong candle with the door closed.
    A fan
    last but not least, holding my nose! lol
    This is the ONLY bath in my home.

The Lotus worked really well for removing the odor from my carpet but not anywhere else. Odd, but true. I ask my DIL last night when she dropped by if she could smell it and she could not. I use it on my dogs beds and it works great too.

• melindy
    16 years ago

Our dogs are also not very smart when it comes to skunks. I found this 'remedy' on the internet. Might work pretty well for the tub. You mix 1 quart of peroxide with 1/4 c of baking soda and a tablespoon of liquid dishsoap. The measurements don't have to be exact. We scrubbed the dogs with it, and it worked great! You could rub it on the shower if it is color fast. Another thing that was mentioned was boiling cider vinegar and letting the steam waft in the smelly room. Also coffee grounds placed in the room. I think I've also read that the phosphoric acid in cola will get rid of skunk smell.

I've included the link that has these ideas. It's called "Thrifty Fun", but do a search on the site for 'removing skunk smell' and you'll get lots of info.

I know how yucky this can be. You have my sympathy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Removing Skunk Smell From House

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

melindy
    oh good! I am glad they will send a new sprayer..lets hope that one works better! I didn't call today..I have been removing wall paper and painting my kitchen..my day goes by so quickly before the kids get home from school..so all the other things on my " to do list" is still waiting to get done..lol!
    I will call!!
    Ree

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melindy,
    Thank you for your help. We did use the peroxide remedy on her right away but it did nothing for my fiberglass tub. It took 2 baths for her but we were afraid of burning her skin so they were short. Tonight she is on skunk watch again but I have the dog door locked tight. I will work on ridding [humanely] our property of the little stinkers before she has full rein on her kingdom.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

Hi Dashmo
    ...I never cleaned fabric or rugs with the lotus water until today... my daughter had her friend over yesterday..little did I know it they were eating chocolate chip cookies in her room (thats a big no-no here)

I went in her room this morning to make the bed I noticed her sitting room was a mess..I went in there and lo and behold..crumbs everywhere..then I saw chocolate on her nearly brand new carpet which is a very pale green..I wasn't happy at all. I charged the water 2x's..sprayed and 'washed it out".. the chocolate 'stains' are all gone!

I am amazed!
    Ree

• catkin
    15 years ago

So the pet *scents* just disappear with the Lotus?
    I'm talking cat urine/spray. I can smell where the stray cats have sprayed on my decking/siding.
    Will the scent be removed with the Lotus?

Thanks in advance.

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I only have dogs but IMO, yes they just vanished. I just spray the dog beds and what ever they choose to lay on and don't have to worry that my hairless dogs are laying on a bunch of chemicals.

• geesaint_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

In regards to the anti skunk spray...any special peroxide I need? Does it come in different strengths or anything? thanks!

• geesaint
    15 years ago

Ok here is another quetion (just found this website and it's fantastic!). Of all you regular 'posters', which do you prefer for linoleum..was no wax but I think I have beat it all off lmao!...the Lotus w/ a (bona?) microfiber broom or a shark steam mop?thanks!!!

• melindy
    15 years ago

Regarding perxide for skunk wash - I just used the stuff that I had in the medicine cabinet. Don't know if it comes in different strengths. I also really scrubbed it in, and then let it sit for about 20 minutes. The reason I let it sit that long was that I was waiting for DH to get back from the store with Coke. We did a coke rinse and then washed them. I was going to try every home remedy possible! My black dog did get some nice highlights! But it really got rid of the smell.

I have a friend who simply uses cider vinegar on her "skunked" dogs. I think she lets it dry on them. It doesn't totally get rid of the smell IMO.

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geesaint,
    I only have the Lotus. I, like you have beat the no-wax off the floor. I am sure it was from years of chemicals. The lotus water in combination with the microfiber mop does clean the floor but really does nothing for the now non-existent shine.
    Reeree has the steam mop. Maybe she will chime in here. :0)

Oh, the skunk smell is gone now. Too bad the skunks aren't! I just used the ordinary hydrogen peroxide from my medicine cabinet. I could not leave it on for 20 minutes though cause my Girl is hairless and I was afraid it would burn her skin.

• wonderingaboutit
    15 years ago

I bought some conventionally grown strawberries and have run them through my lotus 3 times. It keeps telling me they're still contaminated. Is there anything else to do? They're so beautiful, I hate to throw them out.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

wondering
    I just finished washing strawberries as we 'speak' the same exact thing just happened to me 3x's. I do not think they are contaminated..if you notice in the water the little 'seeds' float around..I think is throwing the Lotus off..after the 3rd time, I just rinsed & dried them (ate a few..lol) and put them in a container away in the fridge..they are fine.. go ahead..indulge! (smile)
    Ree

geesaint
    I do not have linoleum flooring, but the shark mop is suppose to do well on them. I use it on my wood and tile floors, and they are squeaky clean! I also bought the bona and use it when I do not feel like plugging in the mop, I really like that too ( very fast and easy)
    There are people on here who have used it on linoeum..maybe some can share?
    Ree

• marie26
    15 years ago

Can any microfiber cloths be used with the lotus sanitizer or only those that come with the machine?

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

marie
    ..you can use any microfiber cloth. I have lots of them and use them all when cleaning with the Lotus water..
    Ree

• newtoremodeling
    15 years ago

I've been keeping up with this thread and today asked my DH about what he thinks about buying Lotus. I explained how it works and he says that if all it does is add an extra oxygen atom onto a water molecule (by passing an electric current through water), it forms oxygen peroxide and if I want to use peroxide to clean, it will be cheaper to buy it in bottles ... Does anyone know anything about this? His explanation made sense to me, unless there is something more to this system. Thanks.

• geguymw
    15 years ago

newtoremodeling,

Your husband is right. Here is what I said in a post towards the top of this thread. I wrote that "...all you are doing is making a form of hydrogen peroxide."

• melindy
    15 years ago

If you go to the Tersano website and look under test results for the Lotus (studies run by third parties) they list the active ingredient as ozone (O3), not peroxide (H2O2). That's why the timer allows 15 minutes to use the sprayer - O3 is unstable. Hydrogen peroxide degrades much more slowly - over years. Perhaps you could use a dilute peroxide and test patches to determine if it would bleach your furnishings. There is a food grade peroxide, so that might work for sanitizing food, if that is a worry to you.

I like being able to walk around my house with the squirt bottle and squirt everything without worry about bleaching, and knowing that it's not just cleaning -I could do that with plain water and a microfiber cloth - but that it is sanitizing. I also like having the bowl to sanitize food. There are less expensive options, but I like this option.

• newtoremodeling
    15 years ago

I only got a chance to see your responses now. I wish the company would provide us with some chemical formulas ... I did some google searches and am guessing that it's something like this: 3 water molucules are broken up to form a 3-oxygen molecule, 6 hydrogens ... then it disintgrates further withing 20 min.

And that it is indeed used to sanitize water, to disintegrate chemicals, etc. Just an update. I still don't know if I will buy the Lotus system but I am more likely now that I have an idea of how it works.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

There is tons of info on water treated with ozone on the net.. I am really happy with my lotus ..(thanks to dashmo) I am very pleased in how well the lotus water cleans , and also for washing fruits and veggies :)

Ree

• marie26
    15 years ago

Yesterday, my sanitizer had the F1 code come up at 98%. This was after 1 time when it got the F4 code. I pulled out the plug and started over. Then the F1 code happened 2 times in a row.

Is the water ready to use if it's at 98%? How do I get it to stop the F1 code?

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie,
    I would call the company and ask. They are great to work with. Is your filter inserted? Is the color right?
    My book is not handy but I know it has a trouble-shooting section.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotus Troubleshooting

• chickadeead
    15 years ago

I did purchase a Lotus Sanitizing system, but I have some nagging doubts in the back of my head about the claims the company makes. I did try it on the mold on my tile grout around the bathtub and it didn't really help. That may be because those spots are now a stains rather than just mold though. I'm trying to find some scientific data (not from the company website) on the Lotus system specifically that proves it disinfects. I did run into a study that showed that microfiber cloths with water sanitize as well as a regular cloths used with disinfectants, so now I'm wondering if some of the disinfectant abilities the company is talking about actually comes from the use of the microfiber cloth. Also, I'm a bit concerned about the amount of ozone this product may or may not put out into my home.

Here is a link to an article and below the article, a discussion where an executive from the company that makes the sanitizer answered some of the public's questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: lotus sanitizer article and discussion

• chickadeead
    15 years ago

I can't figure out how to edit my previous post. I believe I should have said "demonstration" rather than "study" with regard to the comparison of microfiber cloths to regular cloths used with disinfectants. Here is the link to that article.

Here is a link that might be useful: microfiber cloth as a disinfectant

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Wow, that article on microfiber cloths is fascinating.

• melindy
    15 years ago

That is a very interesting article on microfiber cloths. It would carry more weight if they had taken colony counts instead of blacklight comparisons. I don't think saying that the proteins are gone visually (and macroscopically in this case) is the same as saying bacteria are gone/dead. I have a blacklight that I use to see where my animals may have piddled, and trust me, all sorts of things are florescent. I do love the cloths, and wouldn't be without them, but give me a colony count!

• rahul325
    15 years ago

Costco.com has it for $129.99 w FREE shipping and they include :
    2 additional microcotton cleaning cloths (4 cloths total)
    3 additional booster cartridges (4 cartridges total)

just ordered it, lets hope it works out good :)

• ilovenature
    15 years ago

I have had the Lotus System for over a year now and couldn't live without it. With all the talk on the news about salmonella and ecoli (spelling?) I feel secure after cleaning our produce in the Lotus system. I also use it to clean kitchen tile,countertops, cutting boards,etc. It also makes a great window cleaning solution along with a microfiber cloth. You just can beat this thing! Thought it was a bit pricey when I first bought it, but it has been worth every penny. Target now sells the filters for it also which is much less expensive than ordering them from the manufacturer.

• chickadeead
    15 years ago

I ordered the Lotus water treatment system to see if it would make our nasty tasting well water any better. Wow . . . when I process the well water it tastes great!

• User
    15 years ago

I certainly hope you are doing the following if you are treating drinking water with ozone:

Run the water through a carbon filter to remove potentially carcinogenic disinfection biproducts and remove ozone.

Rule number one is always to know what is in your water. Number two is to know the result of any chemical treatment (yes, ozonation is a chemical treatment) before you do it. If the lotus does include carbon filtration, you need to know how much and how long it will last with YOUR water. An average filter life isn't good enough.

• chickadeead
    15 years ago

Fortunately, the Lotus water treatment system does end the treatment process by filtering the water through a carbon filter. It also has a built-in sensor which alerts you when the carbon filter needs to be changed. The sensor is based on the condition of the carbon filter (and therefore based on your particular water conditions and your water's effect on the filter) rather than on an artificial time line.

I want to get my water tested. I bought the "at home" kits, but I'd rather use a lab to do the tests. Can anyone recommend a lab for testing water? Thanks.

• marie26
    15 years ago

I keep getting the F1 warning. The machine will go to 96 or above and then the F1 comes on. It doesn't matter if I'm cleaning food or am using the spray bottle.

I noticed the balls in the filter are sort of green. But I feel I haven't used the machine enough times to feel I need a new filter. Could this be causing it?

Unfortunately, Lotus customer service hours are the same as my working hours and I haven't been able to call them.

I've used the water even when getting the F1 code. Does it have any effect at all or must it get to 100 for any benefit?

Are the microfiber cloths that come with it more special than the ones you can buy in the stores?

Thanks for any advice. I really want to use this machine.

• chickadeead
    15 years ago

Marie,

You can go to the manufacturer's website in their blog area and ask your question. The actual inventor of the product comes on and answers many customer service questions. Your question may have already been answered and if you read through all the posts (there are many of them) you may find the answer.

I don't think that the Lotus microfibers are much different than other microfiber cloths, so I think you can use any microfiber cloth that you have, but that is just my opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: manufacturer answers questions about lotus sanitizer

• marie26
    15 years ago

I was in Linens and Things the other day looking for something and the manager ended up helping me. I told him about my Lotus Sanitizer F1 problem and he said he hadn't had any other complaints. I also told him the hours that Lotus was open made it difficult for me to contact them. He then told me to bring back my Lotus Sanitizer with the receipt and he'd give me a new one. I did that today. No more F1 codes. Yeah! That's what I call great customer service!

• Donna-37
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know this thread is old, old, old but...
    I am still using the Lotus. Still loving it too. Same machine after all these years. It's uses seem never ending. I never did order the mop after reeree_natural said she was unimpressed.
    I have torn the internet up reading about this kind of cleaning and am satisfied with the information I have found.
    When I first bought my Lotus machine I figured I had very little to loose. I can't imagine how much money I have saved in cleaners through the years! Not to mention the air refresher effects just plain water has.
    Needless to say I am still loving my Lotus! :0)

• grandwheatgrass
    11 years ago

I have had 2 Lotus Sanitizing Systems. The first came with a broken display. Part of the area where you see the time and percentage digitally was permanently black. We called customer support and they sent us a return label. We packed the thing up and sent it back and got another one very promptly.

We have been using that other one for about 5 month now. However, 2-3 of those months have been very frustrating. The unit will struggle to get through a charging cycle. It sounds like it is starting and stopping many many times during the cycle. 50% of the time it will just turn off with no error codes. I then have to unplug it, plug it back in, and start over hoping that it finished the cycle this time. I have called customer support many times, but I call after hours because I only remember to call after work or on Saturdays and they are closed by then. This last time (today - Saturday) I left a message. Hopefully I remember to call them Monday during business hours if I don't hear back from them.

My wife and I love the idea of cleaning with ozone and when it was working properly we loved the product. I need to call Lotus to have them replace this unit. I don't think they will hesitate with doing that since we had such a good experience before with them replacing the first one.

My only concern about this product is that it seems to not be manufactured very well. I say this because I have had 2 of them and I have had problems with 2 of them. It isn't cheap. I was hoping that it would work without problems. At least they have good customer support to replace the unit WHEN it goes bad.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County