Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pet Allergies and Wall Cleaning Tips PLEASE!

Posted by danadoodles (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 12:39

Hello! I am moving to a new home that currently has 2 dogs and a cat. I have horrible allergies to both. Most of the home is tiled but the bedrooms are carpeted.

About a week after the tenants leave, I am planning to tear out the carpet and wash the walls down with a solution and mop.

I called the allergist and they recommend soapy water with baking soda. I dont think this is good enough!!

Does anyone know of other solutions?

Are there other things I should be doing 1st?

I do have a hepa filter air purifier I can keep in the house while all of this is going on.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
dana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pet Allergies and Wall Cleaning Tips PLEASE!

The allergins are in the protein in the dog dander. I can't think that baking soda will do a thing!
Vacuum....change the bag....vacuum some more....change the bag....etc.
Mske sure your vacuum has a hepa filter....wipe the walls, just plain water will do. What you want to remove is the "dust" from the animals. It's not germs you are allergic to but the dust....the flakes of skin from the animals.
Removing the carpet should do the job.
Linda C....also an "achoo" person!

o

Be sure to air the house our after you remove the carpet, perhaps with fans. When we pulled up our wall-to-wall carpeting , we found the padding underneath had deteriorated and crumbled into dust. That dust was awful. I swept it up, then went over the flooring with a wet cloth. And then we had the refinishers come in with their machines to sand the oak planks down, then stain them. The dust was so bloody awful!

o

Clean the air ducts. Clean any drapes or curtains. If you are removing the carpet yourself, take an antihistamine before you tackle the job.

o

There is not much you will have to do if you are going to remove the carpeting. After you remove the carpeting, you will want to remove all of the dust in your home. You will want to vacuum the walls, ceiling, furniture, window sills, etc. You will not need to wash the walls to remove "dander". The vacuuming will have already done the job. I have allergies to things in dust, so I make sure that I vacuum the walls, ceilings, drapes, etc. every month. The furniture gets vacuumed every week. What wall washing will help do is remove any oily-dirt the animals may have left as they rub up against the walls. It is important to use a soapy solution, in your water, in order to help break down the oils and dirt.

o

Thanks everyone for these great tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here