Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmama_gw

Magic Eraser for windows?

cmama
11 years ago

My windows have a film on them which I cannot get off. I have tried everything. Do you think Magic Eraser would work? Would it scratch window?

Comments (10)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Is it a film of dirt/grease? Or is it an film intentionally applied to the glass? If you can't get it off with regular cleaning, maybe the glass has become etched.

• jannie
    11 years ago

s it a film or scratches? Mr. clean isn't really known as a glass cleaner as it is slightly abrasive. For glass, try an ammonia-based cleaner that will dissolve any grease and will wipe off with a shine.(Windex or similar) I make my own home-made glass cleaner out of straight (not "sudsy") ammonia mixed with water in a spray bottle and wiped off with paper towels.

• kath1966
    11 years ago

I tried to use a Magic Eraser on my glass top stove and noticed it scratching the surface right away so I suppose it would scratch windows alsol.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I used one to help remove lime spots on a shower window.

It worked OK

• lindac92
    6 years ago

I can show you scratches on my window from Magic eraser....and on my stainless stove and the dull finish on my counter from an over zealous house cleaner.

• Rudi Van Desarzio
    6 years ago

You must have scrubbed pretty hard for a very long time lady. What materials can scratch another is determined by their relative hardness. One common scale of hardness is called the Mohs scale. In fact what can scratch what is how Mohs hardness is determined:

"The hardness of a material is measured against the scale by finding the hardest material that the given material can scratch, and/or the softest material that can scratch the given material"

Window glass has a Mohs hardness of 5.5 and stainless steel is 6.5. Melamine, which is what those sponges are made of, is a 4.0 on the Mohs scale.

That said, if some harder material is trapped between the sponge and the surface, it could certainly scratch.

• PRO
    Simpo Cleaning
    6 years ago

We use blades and four zero steel wool to clean windows with cement and mortar stuck on them. It's all about technique, make sure you know what you are doing before attempting this and never use this on toughened glass as it will scratch them.

I wrote a step by step article on how this is done and you can go here to read it- https://simpocleaning.com.au/clean-your-windows/

• PRO
    Mendo View Window Cleaning
    6 years ago

@cmama: This conversation is becoming a hot topic. Would you mind bringing to the groups attention more information regarding the type of film as well as type of window?

Please allow me to clarify a few things. You did mention it was a "film" you were wanting to remove so I am guessing here, without actually being present to examine the glass, that the "film" is something that happened from the environment or the result of poorly maintained windows, which is the most common. When you mentioned that it was a "film" you are wanting to "remove" I am gathering that it is not a manufactured film application to the glass such as a Low-e coating or a tint.

The sponge would be safe to use for removing a film from your standard glass windows. Again, based off of what you mentioned I'm just assuming your windows are standard old pane glass windows. I do not think #0000 grade steel wool or a razor blade would be necessary to remove a "film" but if you have "tried everything" - which is highly unlikely, an attempt using a using a razor blade might help but I would hire a pro window cleaner to do this service for you, which is what I should have suggested in the first place. The window cleaning service staff should be able to determine what type of film it is as well as what type of windows you have installed.

Wish I could be more helpful to you but I don't have enough details. You aren't really describing the "film" or "window" so it makes it more difficult to offer any permanent resolutions here per your situation. This conversation can go on and on without having more details to find a resolution for you, but as I said, magic erasers can clean stubborn areas from off glass.

Most "films" can be removed using a brand new magic eraser with warm wet water and a cleaning detergent. Just make certain the sponge is kept wet and maintained. Rinse well! Do not allow any trapping of particles inside the sponge. When tearing begins, discard immediately. These sponges are short lived and aren't designed to be used multiple times. We keep a stock order of them so we only use new all the time. It may seem like common sense but I have had to physically stop people, especially house cleaners, from using common household items such as cleaning cloths, sponges and other types of materials because they failed to maintain the cloths or sponges during the duration of the cleaning. Hard abrasive particles can be trapped in most sponges and cleaning cloths. If overlooked, you can easily scratch the surfaces unknowingly. Also, I never recommend using magic erasers dry on glass. Glass should always be kept wet while cleaning or removing deposits and stains.

You wouldn't think it , but the rings worn on fingers while cleaning windows cause many scratches. Same goes for watches.

@ jannie: It's only as abrasive as the user behind it and the sources within it. Be careful using ammonia on windows that actually have manufactured films applied to the surface of the glass. You will strip it. This often leaves a film looking appearance in direct sunlight. What has actually happened is the ammonia stripped the coating from off the glass. Aways do your research on window types before using strippers such as ammonia.

@Simpo Cleaning: Did you mean to say #0000 grade steel wool? I think you also mean to say heat strengthened (i.e.) tempered glass. As a fellow PRO WC'er, you should be informed about (Fabricating Debris) on heat strengthened / tempered glass vs. using a razor blade or any type of steel. Not that it is less important for removing various types of window film but I would certainly be careful in being suggestive to social media about using razor blades on their windows without first having all the information. There are just too many issues with inherent fabricating debris and razor blades. I read your linked article. It was very nice.

@kath1966: We are discussing magic erasers being used on window glass, not glass stove tops. Not all glass surfaces are created equally.

*Customer comments should be kept refined so as to not allow misinformation and confusion of topic.

@lazy_gardens: Are you referring to a restroom window or a shower glass partition i.e. divider?

@lindac92: We are discussing magic erasers being used on window glass only, not stoves. Magic erasers, just as they are, do not scratch glass. Perhaps you had trapped some particles in the lining of the sponge that may have scratched the glass? As a suggestion, keep your sponge completely rinsed and maintained. If you notice lodging of particles in the sponge, rinse thoroughly or discard immediately.

Again, I don't know what substance you were using the sponge on for removal or what type of window glass you have.

*Customer comments should be kept refined so as to not allow misinformation and confusion of topic.

• Susan
    5 years ago

Will magic eraser remove epoxy haze from glass tiles grouted with epoxy grout without scratching the tiles? There are products available for removing epoxy haze from stone tiles but they would scratch and I don't see anything for glass. Would you have any other suggestions for removing epoxy haze?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler