Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning wool needlepoint chairs

Posted by robertalee (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 11:21

My husband inherited an antique dining room set. It has chairs that were needlepointed in wool by a great aunt many years ago. They are nailed onto the chair cushions. Does anyone have a reccomendation on how to clean these? I have vacuumed them and a dry cleaner has "cleaned" a few, but they still need cleaning. I would not like to take them off, as I fear shrinkage and the task of putting them on again. Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning wool needlepoint chairs

You can do the dry cleaning right on the chairs....but taking them off and having them cleaned would be the best bet.
If you find a dry cleaner who knows about antique fabrics you should not have nay trouble with shrinkage.
You could try rubbing them with corn starch and vacuuming well....it will remove a lot of the dirt and it's a "no harm" method....but if they are not cleaned to your liking, remove the covers and have them professionally cleaned.
Linda C

o
RE: cleaning wool needlepoint chairs

I would take them off the chair seat, head to a good cleaners, and asked that they be dry cleaned and blocked. Blocking will keep the shape square. Without blocking, they'll end up sort of diamond shaped. Should be no extra cost for blocking. Do not have them wet laundered. Most likely the yarn is wool and it'll shrink/fall apart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here