Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing sticker residue from cabinets

Posted by EATREALFOOD (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 9:04

Hi I bought kitchen cabinets from a salvage center. Unfortunately they put stickers on each cabinet. What is the best way to remove them and clean cabinets in general ? I have tried hot water with a little Dr. Bronners soap. The paper sticker is gone but the glue remains. I think the finish is polyeurethane...
thank you for all suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing sticker residue from cabinets

Try spraying with Murphy's Oil Soap, then peel with a fiungernail. You could use an ice scraper for a car or single-edge razoir blade. Be very careful if you use a razor blade. Good luck!

o

Thanks. Is Murphy's soap safe for all finishes ? I have no idea what this finish is.

o

I don't know if Murphy's ia good on all finishes. It's made to clean wood, that's about all I know. A lot of people dislike Murphy's because it leaves steaks behind.

o

Goo gone....or olive oil. Murphey's is water based and will cloud a lacquer or some shellac finishes.

o

Test anything you want to use on an inconspicuous part of the cabinet.

Have you tried Goo Gone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Goo Gone

o

Soak a washcloth in a solution of equal parts vinegar and warm water, wring it out so it doesn't drip everywhere and rub the glue in circular motions using the washcloth. Alternatively you may sray the vinegar/water solution directly on the glue, let it sit, then just wipe it off. It's safe for all cabinet finishes, Goo gone is great but can sometimes leave a filmy residue.

o

W-D 40 also works. Test in a inconspicuous spot first!

o

thanks all. I will report back after I play around a bit.

o

I like to use either mineral spirits or lighter fluid on a paper towel.

o

Take my word for it oil is the best glue remover. On wood I'd use a product like lemon oil or old english oil. On glass I use cooking oil.

Saturate a soft cloth with the oil and rub over the glue. The more oil you can get on it the easier it is to penetrate the glue rub with the cloth and keep adding more oil. The oil will disolve the glue as long as nothing else was used first

o

I hate that - seems everything you buy has those silly sticker & always in the worst place. Lots of good ideas here. Oil of some kind sounds like best solution. i'd be afraid to use mineral spirits or lighter fluid. Those may take off the finish on your cabinets.

o

Goo Gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here