Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boystown

Washing Drapes

boystown
14 years ago

My living room drapes need cleaning. They have a lining and the care instructions say "dry clean". Do you think I could wash them in woolite??

Comments (5)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

If they say dry clean that means either the lining or curtains might shirnk if put in water and dried. Even if you wash them in woolite how would you dry them? A dryer would be a no no.

If they are not really dirty and you want to refresh them and get rid of the dust, you can put them in the dryer on air. That will get rid of the dust and leave them smelling fresh

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Depends. Both the drapery material and the lining need to be washable. And even then you take a chance with the fabric stretching, shrinking, or becoming limp because the sizing has been washed out. And then there is the effect of the water on the pleater tape, etc. Is there a tag showing what what the fabric is?

If you want to do this at home, you might be better off using Dryel or spot cleaning with dry cleaning fluid. And a really good vacuuming will sometimes remove surface soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dryel FAQ

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I washed drapes that were in a previous house. I think I washed them in cold and put them in the dryer on AIR only (this was 7 or 8 years ago). The drapery fabric shrank up so much the lining showed (by at least 1/2") and I had to replace them.

• jannie
    14 years ago

My Mom's house was purchased with the old owner's draperies included. When they got really dusty looking,Mom bought new. I don't know how she cleans them now. They are extremely heavy. I don't think she could handle washing them at home. I'll ask what she does.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Unless you made then your self and know what the headers and inner facing are....I sure wouldn't try it!
    Linda C