Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washing Drapes

Posted by gagesgranny (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 8:42

My living room drapes need cleaning. They have a lining and the care instructions say "dry clean". Do you think I could wash them in woolite??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washing Drapes

If they say dry clean that means either the lining or curtains might shirnk if put in water and dried. Even if you wash them in woolite how would you dry them? A dryer would be a no no.

If they are not really dirty and you want to refresh them and get rid of the dust, you can put them in the dryer on air. That will get rid of the dust and leave them smelling fresh

o

Depends. Both the drapery material and the lining need to be washable. And even then you take a chance with the fabric stretching, shrinking, or becoming limp because the sizing has been washed out. And then there is the effect of the water on the pleater tape, etc. Is there a tag showing what what the fabric is?

If you want to do this at home, you might be better off using Dryel or spot cleaning with dry cleaning fluid. And a really good vacuuming will sometimes remove surface soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dryel FAQ

o

I washed drapes that were in a previous house. I think I washed them in cold and put them in the dryer on AIR only (this was 7 or 8 years ago). The drapery fabric shrank up so much the lining showed (by at least 1/2") and I had to replace them.

o

My Mom's house was purchased with the old owner's draperies included. When they got really dusty looking,Mom bought new. I don't know how she cleans them now. They are extremely heavy. I don't think she could handle washing them at home. I'll ask what she does.

o

Unless you made then your self and know what the headers and inner facing are....I sure wouldn't try it!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here