Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it safe to do this with a carpet cleaner and your carpets?

Posted by mark40511 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 6:37

Question:

I have a Hoover Agility that does a good job. I don't like to use the carpet shampoos to clean the carpets......There are no stains on the carpets at all but I just want to clean them every so often.......I have used white vinegar in the past with hot water.

I was thinking.......If I use the water take filled with hot tap water and maybe a teaspoon of bleach, will this be ok since the bleach will be so diluted? I'm thinking perhaps it will disinfect the carpets as well.

Another thing I do with the Agility, I tape 2 weights on the front of it as to put a little more weight down and the machine seems to extract more water that way.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it safe to do this with a carpet cleaner and your carpets?

I would never use bleach on nylon carpet, ever. If your carpet is olefin it would be fine. You could try oxyclean.

o
RE: Is it safe to do this with a carpet cleaner and your carpets?

why on earth would you want to "disinfect" your carpets unless you are planning to eat off them?

Your machine with its recommend cleaner will do a fine job of getting your carpets clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here