Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rault85

Floor Cleaner?

Rault85
14 years ago

I dont like the smell of floor cleaners like mr clean or lysol... is there something else I can use? Would Ivory or Dawn dish soap with touch of bleach work?

I have tile floors... thanks!

Comments (9)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Andi2928, it sounds like you would love steam cleaning - it uses only extremely hot water to clean, so no soaps or detergents to smell or leave residue. You can buy steamers at all price points from as low as $50. Do some research here and on the internet with the search terms "steam vapor cleaning."

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Ditto Graywings' suggestion. I love steam cleaning the floors. The steam softens "stuff" especially in the kitchen. The best part is no streaks or cleaner residue left behind.

Speaking of which, I had better get busy on my dirty floors.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

I've used laundry detergent for cleaning tile/vinyl floors. I usually buy one of the less expensive brands when the local grocery store has it deeply discounted. The nice thing about laundry detergent is that you can mix it freely with bleach, so I use it for all kinds of cleaning jobs like trash cans.

You want to be careful mixing bleach with other household cleaners. You can have a chemical reaction that results in free chlorine gas. Not something you want to inhale.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

I use the lemon scented concentrates.

• Rault85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

When we PCS'd to Ft Hood, we got stuck in on-post housing and lets just say the housing isnt the cleanest... It has the original tile from the 50's I believe and it appears to either have never been sealed or re-sealed at any point so it looks atrocious! I have a steam mop, but it doesn't seem to do anything as far as the nasty dark grout. Im starting to think that Im doomed to a toothbrush on my hands and knees.... :-(

• Rault85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

When we PCS'd to Ft Hood, we got stuck in on-post housing and lets just say the housing isnt the cleanest... It has the original tile from the 50's I believe and it appears to either have never been sealed or re-sealed at any point so it looks atrocious! I have a steam mop, but it doesn't seem to do anything as far as the nasty dark grout. Im starting to think that Im doomed to a toothbrush on my hands and knees.... :-(

• graywings123
    14 years ago

A steam mop won't clean grout embedded with dirt and grime. The canister model steamers would do it. But, yeh, you are looking at a hands and knees cleaning project.

• lucky51
    14 years ago

Cleaning stained un-sealed grout will be an arduous task. CWP make a tile & grout cleaner and matching brushes for the task.

• suz_natural
    14 years ago

I've used baking soda and water on my kitchen tile grout and was amazed at how well it worked. But yeah, it's a hands and knees cleaning project. I haven't finished the whole floor either (and believe you me, you can tell exactly where I stopped).