Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Dish Detergent?

Posted by ayerg73 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 20:58

Does anyone know how to make an effective homemade dish detergent?

My DH is allergic to at least one ingredient in just about everything commercially made. We had one brand that worked, but they apparently changed their formula and now he's reacting badly and I have to find a safe solution.

I just tried this recipe that I found online:
-1 1/2 cup of hot water
-1/2 cup castile soap (I usually use Dr. Bronner's baby mild liquid soap, but feel free to use any scent just be sure to adjust/omit essential oils accordingly. You may want to use a variety that is already scented for a more frugal option.)
-1 tablespoon of white vinegar
-1 tablespoon of Arm&Hammer's Super Washing Soda (used to thicken the soap)

And it just doesn't work for me. Didn't cut through grease at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Dish Detergent?

On the kitchen table here.Ask they have dishwasher,laundry soap,I love using arm & hammer baking soda glasses look great when done.

o

I buy whatever dishwashing liquid is on sale. I'm convinced they all work, Dawn is good but so are Joy, Palmolive, Ajax, Method, even store bargain brand. For my dishwasher, I put in a tablespoon each Borax and Baking Soda (not baking powder or washing soda).

o

I also use what's on sale....just curious about the borax and baking soda (how well does it clean...any haze on glasses?)

o

Saving money at the supermarket is a concept that can extend to every item you frequently buy. This includes things such as dishwashing and laundry detergent, notes Bankrate. How to save money on laundry and dishwashing detergent? Some customers extol the virtues of single-use dishwasher and laundry detergent - aka pods or squares - but the truth is that regular dishwashing soap or even homemade detergent is cheaper. Using cheaper bottle dishwasher detergent or a homemade solution will save money, and in many cases, also be better for the environment, as less excess soap is flushed down the drain. This assumes that you�re using dishwasher detergents that are phosphate free, which is currently required by law in at least seventeen states.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here