Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm123_gw

Cleaning porcelain tile floor after mop n glo mishap

bookworm123
15 years ago

My porcelain tile floor is not sealed and my cleaning people put Mop n Glo on it to give it a shine. It was still dull so I attempted to remove it with a steam mop to no avail. I then used vinegar and water to no avail. I then tried Tile Lab Grout and Tile Cleaner which did not help much. The fellow at Home Depot recommended Tile Lab's Heavy Duty Cleaner and Stripper. I had some success with it but the floor is still streaky and spotty in places. Will ammonia and water help? Any help is appreciated. I am using a microfiber cloth when I am scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees. Help! I'm not getting any younger and my arms, knees and back are killing me. Also, I told the cleaning people to never bring Mop n Glo into this house again!

Comments (11)

• arleneb
    15 years ago

You might cross-post this on the Kitchen forum -- Bill V and other tile folks are often there and may have a suggestion.

What a nightmare -- wouldn't it be nice if cleaning people took the responsibility to clean up their messes??

Arlene

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

As I recall, ammonia was recommended to strip wax from floors. Mop N Glow is not really a wax as much as it is some kind of coating, but it would not hurt to try.

• gailee
    15 years ago

I did this to my self, no cleaning people to blame and it took many many cleaning's to get it off. I will never have it in my house again, either. Gailee

• boystown
    15 years ago

My Mother was house sitting for us and she thought my porcelain tile needed a little shine so she slammed on the Mop n Glo. Like the other posters, amonia will work but I had to do it several times before I could get it all up. I had more problems getting it out of the grout. Good luck

• lindac
    15 years ago

Another who says ammonia....
    My lovely quarry tile hearth had been coated with Mop and glow or something.....after many treatments.....ammonia finally got it clean.
    Linda c

• LiddyB1939_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I used your mop n glo on my vinyl floor and I hate it. So How do I get this CRAP off my floor without using a knife to scrape it off. Seloution to my problem would be fantastic. I will Never USE that product Ever Again!!!!!

• Shannon Wiley
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My Mother, bless her, wanted to impress the new son in law. LOL! She bought polish and did every floor in the house. Stone, laminate, tile and porcelain all were a mess. I grabbed my bottle of Hoover Steam Vac & FloorMAX bare floor cleaner plus the Mr. Clean spray mop, stopped at Target on my way, bought 10 extra microfiber refills and a bottle of wine for me because Mom was well...

I was afraid of the Hoover being to abrasive with its brushes plus the Mr. Clean solid blue microfiber is impressive. I used 1.25 ounces diluted in a quart of water. It was amazing. I sprayed it heavier than I normally would have. OMG it saved the day without breaking my back. I noticed after a few days, almost a week, in the high traffic areas a few darkening sticky spots. It was dirt sticking to the degrading polish buildup that had been left behind.

So I broke out my mop and through one of the microfiber refills on moms spray mop, I mopped with the Hoover mixture, Spraying heavier and had Mom dry with hers behind me. The second mopping with dry mopping it dry behind took all the polish off. We had the whole five bed three bath house done in 45 minutes. She has no carpet Just rugs you can roll up. All of her floors looked better than they had in years. My husband, because mom is freakishly immaculate, has always said, "I would actually eat something off your moms floor." My new brother in law calls mom's house "The Museum". You can't make men understand she waited till all five kids were gone before redecorating. :D

• Beverly Vics
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I got Mop N Glo on my porcelin or ceramic tiles. Thought it'd give them a little shine... now couldn't get it off. Nail polish remover..... takes it right off. Regular nail polish remover, no acetone. Spill some on the tile... mop it around... rinse it off.

• Connie Sadler
    7 years ago

Why no acetone??

• Beverly Vics
    7 years ago

Acetone didn't work