Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthie

aluminum ruined by dishwasher detergent

earthie
12 years ago

Apparently, the formulation has been changed recently on the Cascade gel pacs (with the Dawn detergent added) to remove phosphates.

That's nice and all, but now, aluminum stuff becomes discolored---dull, dark, and blotchy.

Is there anyway to restore it back to shiny aluminum color?

Comments (10)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I don't beleive so.

I found this information on the Seventh Generation website:

"In general, dishwashers are not a safe environment for anodized aluminum cookware. The reason for this is both the nature of automatic dishwasher detergents and the nature of the automatic dishwasher process.

Aluminum is a very reactive metal, and the surface is rendered less active by the process of anodization. However, automatic dishwasher detergents are caustic and will attack the aluminum.

But the dishwasher environment itself is hazardous to aluminum! Many consumers improperly mix different types of metals in their automatic dishwasher. They may have silver, stainless steel, and aluminum present in a single wash. Mixing different metals in water creates a battery. One metal dissolves another while generating a flow of electrons! Unfortunately, aluminum is usually the metal that gets dissolved, resulting in pitting and discoloration of the aluminum cookware."

You can also read what Consumer Reports says about discolored aluminum at the link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dishwasher detergents: New tests find a glitch

• earthie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know not to put stainless and silver in together, but I've never had trouble with aluminum before now.

That's pretty cool, though that different metals create a battery.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I bought an ancient aluminum colander from the flea market, wanted to sterilize it and put it in super hot water and dish liquid sitting in the sink and it turned all nasty looking? I have no idea why...it was just dish liquid.

• Andrew T
    6 years ago

There are various ways to re-shine it. Barkeepers friend or cream of tartar.

Here is a video that shows how to re-shine using oven, cream of tartar, and roasting pan. Make sure the pan's handle can survive in oven.

If not, you need to scrub it yourself if you want to re-shine the outer pan.

• Marti Nyemaster-Schelb
    3 years ago

Barkeeer's Friend restored mine.

• Sarah Lakey
    2 years ago

I used to be a big fan of cascade. Used if for 20-30 years with no problem. Then I made the mistake of buying a “commercial” version from Costco. Not only did it turn my ice cream scoop and measuring spoons dark, but it also stripped the color out of my dishes and coffee cups. It made my dishes look 50 years old. Never again. I am now using ECOVER ZERO a non toxic products. Also a non- toxic. I recently noticed that some spots of “shine” have stared showing up on the aluminum tools. Which is why I started looking for an answer. I am presently boiling my tools in bar keepers friend. It appears to be working. My spoons brightened up very quickly and the ice cream scoops are coming along. I will post some pictures, when I am done.

• Sarah Lakey
    2 years ago

I boiled the blackened utensils in about a table spoon of barkeeper’s friend and water in a Pyrex dish. The measuring spoons and middle scoop cleaned up in about 10 minutes the more heavy duty scoop took about 20 minute plus it needed to be rinsed and wiped and then I used barkeeper on it one more time. They are not “like new” but then again they are not new. between 30-45 years old. Sure look better than they did. Bar Keepers is a chemical found in rhubarb! According to the story of how it was invented.

• Sarah Lakey
    2 years ago

See my post above… was still not satisfied because now instead of black, the utensils seemed coated in white with a couple of lighter spot. So I also tried the steel wool. (Just what ever I had on hand) And that finished the process. Maybe I could have just used the steel wool. But I think the barkeeper friend helped avoid some of the elbow grease needed.

• HU-423793653
    last year

The cascade also destroyed the finish on a pewter butter dish that had sentimental value. I'm very upset that these companies didn't warn customers that the new formulas would damage aluminum and pewter!!