Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejr2005

How to Clean Old Charisma Sheets?

ejr2005
10 years ago

I've loved my old Charisma sheets for years and they don't make them the same any more. Before I toss them I'm wondering if they can be saved.

They're in good shape - no tears or piling - but they smell like they've been slept in for ten or so years. There are also darker patches where we sleep - especially on the pillowcases. I guess it's from body oils. I also have dry skin so put cream on at night.

I've looked for/tried other sheets but none seem to live up to these old Charismas. Any advice???

Comments (10)

• krissie55
    10 years ago

Soaking in Oxi-Clean in old fashion type washing machine on full level water with about 1-2 cups Oxi-Clean added and dissolved will make a huge difference in the sheets. After adding sheets, let machine agitate for a few minutes, stop and let soak for 24 hours.

If you have the new low water washing machine, soak sheets in Oxi-Clean water in the bathtub.

After soaking, wash as usual with white vinegar in the rinse water. (I add vinegar to the rinse dispenser in older type washer).

If smokers have used the sheets, it may not come clean regardless of what you do. The nicotine stains sheets almost permanently.

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you krissie! We'll try it.

We have a newer Speed Queen washer so I think it should be okay. How much vinegar do you use for a large load?

I think I stopped smoking before I got the sheets so that should be okay.

Have to go buy Oxi-Clean. Hope they have it at the supermarket.

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you krissie! We'll try it.

We have a newer Speed Queen washer so I think it should be okay. How much vinegar do you use for a large load?

I think I stopped smoking before I got the sheets so that should be okay.

Have to go buy Oxi-Clean. Hope they have it at the supermarket.

• Rusty
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with the type of sheets you mentioned,
    Nor do you say if they are colored or white.
    But just want to mention,
    That hanging out in the sun will work wonders
    On white cotton sheets.

Rusty

• emma
    10 years ago

If they are white I would just launder them in Purex laundry detergent. That is what I use on my white cottons and they are as white as when I first bought them.

• krissie55
    10 years ago

Sorry I am slow getting back to your question.

1/2 cup white vinegar is what I use. My washer's rinse dispenser holds 1/2 cup.

Krissie

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Krissie. I just got my act together to wash them - they're soaking in Oxi-Clean overnight. I actually started with some other sheets that I don't care about as much in order to get the process down. They're Royal Sateen sheets.

Rusty - hanging them out in the sun sounds great but right now we're in blizzard mode here.

Emma - Some of the sheets are white with stripes or dots (also white), but most are yellowish (ivory?), tannish, and a peachy color. I never used Purex but will check into it.

I'll report back on how the Oxi-Clean works on the Royal Sateen and Charisma.

• Rusty
    10 years ago

"Rusty - hanging them out in the sun sounds great but right now we're in blizzard mode here."

Oops! Sorry about that!
    I didn't check to see where you are.
    Hope all is well for you.

Rusty

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just thought I'd report in. I've been experimenting with washing a bunch of my old sheets. Started with ones I don't care as much about, and moving on to my Charismas.

I'm basically using the process krissie recommended. I'm soaking them in Oxiclean for 3-5 hours instead of the 24. That seems to be working well. My regular detergent - Arm and Hammer free of perfumes and dyes (A&H) - didn't get the smell out when used alone. I added a step of washing with either Tide, Wisk or Persil liquid. Then I rewash with my A&H to get rid (somewhat) of the detergent smell which I hate and can affect my sensitive skin. I've also been adding Borax to the Tide, etc. wash as suggested on the Laundry forum.

That seems to be going really well. I just left a very detailed post on the Laundry forum if you're interested.

I did find that the process affected the color on my off-white Royal Sateen sheets, changing them from a tannish ivory to a more yellow ivory. I'm about to start washing my tan and peachy Charisma sheets. They're both light colored but I really don't want to change their colors.

Do you think I should use liquid color safe Oxiclean instead of the powder?

I'm just delighted that I now can have my Charisma sheets back. I also found a number of king sized pillow cases that I guess came in king sheets sets. We use 5 or 6 standard pillows instead. They're all getting shortened...

• bspofford
    10 years ago

I too am a fan of the 'old' Charisma sheets. They aren't quite as good, but Costco carries them now, and a queen set with FOUR pillowcases is $39.99!

If you really want to treat yourself to a great sheet, there is a store here in Maine called Cuddledown. They carry this 400 thread count sateen sheet that is the best I've ever slept on, and that includes many higher thread count brands. They are pricey, but well worth it, and I think they are on sale for 20% off right now. And no, I don't work there....

I never wanted to pay full retail for Charisma sheets, and there used to be outlet stores that had them, but no more. You can still find them on ebay, however.

I had the peach too, but passed them to my mom so I would have nice sheets to sleep on when I visited!

Barbara