Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_fastback

How are you cleaning your glass top stove?

blue_fastback
17 years ago

I recently bought a GE glass top stove and having a hard time cleaning it. Anything that burns on it is very hard to get off. I boiled over some elfredo sauce on it and for days could not get it off. I am afraid of scratching the surface. I am not impressed with the Cermabrite that came with the stove. I bought a MR Clean Eraser for the first time and it did take off my burnt elfredo sauce but seemed like a lot of scrubing. I also bought some Weisman cook top cleaner and put on after. It seemed like a wax like I would use on my car. Maybe it will make cleaning up a little easier. Any cleaning secrets?

Comments (54)

• littlebug5
    17 years ago

Barkeeper's Friend and a damp cloth. Works great. The liquid cleaner that came with the stove was a joke, hardly worked at all.

• quandary
    17 years ago

I've had my glass cooktop for 6 years and usually just need a damp cloth to clean it. For more stubborn messes (like a pasta boil over, egg or oatmeal) I've had good success with the cream cleaners. I squirt it right onto the spot and use my finger to dab it liberally. I leave it for about an hour before I use a paper towel to scrub it off. Those green scrubbing pads work better than paper towels, but I never have one handy. I think the trick to the cream cleaner (and many other cleaning products) is to give them time to work.

• elisamcs
    17 years ago

I found that any of the following work wonderfully: plain old vinegar, ammonia, or Orange Glo. I spray one of them on the cooled surface (if there's a lot of gunk I let it sit, then use the razor blade scraper), wipe with a sponge, then follow up with a dry microfiber cloth. The top sparkles.

• mamitosami
    17 years ago

Two words--barkeeper's friend. This stuff is a miracle!! I use it every day, even with burnt-on spots, with no effort, it's awesome! The stove still looks like new...

• speedmaster
    17 years ago

Use a razor blade to remove the burnt buildup, then CeramaBryte for the final clean/polish. Works everytime with little effort. Also, the razor blade lubricated with stone polish is excellent for removing buildup on granite counters.

• krissy_2008
    16 years ago

I just bought a used glass top yesterday. It has brown "stains" where the elements are. It doesn't look topical. Could they be under the glass? If so, are they cleanable? If they are topical should I try the bleach suggestion? I tried vinegar and it didn't touch them.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

We have had our Kenmore glass top for about a year. After each use, after it cools, I soak any spot under a wet towel and it usually wipes right off. I find the soaking to be easy, free and quite useful. If it need further cleaning I use a soft abrasive made for glass tops.

On an older glass top, in a household that is immaculate at all times, I have seen what appears to be permanent discoloration within or under the glass. Does anyone know if the older ones became permanently discolored? Perhaps the newer ones will too?

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

Just vinegar usually doesn't work. I scrape mine first, then spray with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water and then sprinkle with baking soda. It's the baking soda that will absorb the stain. As far a permanent discoloration, my stove is 10 years old and it doesn't seem to be discolored so much as "wearing off". I have a couple of spots that aren't stains, they just seem worn.

• Cadyren
    16 years ago

I got my smooth top a month ago and haven't had any problems yet. I cleaned it with the Ceramabryte that came with it before I used it, as instructed. I wipe it down either with a completely clean dish rag or a wet paper towel before using the cleaner most nights. I have had splattered grease from frying and drips from when I lift a lid and the condensation drips all over. Saturday night I boiled potatoes and discovered when I removed them from the burner that they had coooked over leaving brown & black stains on the burner. I don't yet have a scraper, so I was worried, but it wiped up with a wet dish rag while the burner was still warm. I polished it with Weiman cream afterwards. Normal clean up is either the Weimans or the Ceramabryte rubbed on with a wet paper towel or non scratch scrubbie and a buff with a dry paper towel. My top is bisque and is made by K (forget who that is), but no problems with cleaner streaks. Takes less than 5 minutes.

• sowngrow (8a)
    16 years ago

I use baking soda and a damp cloth. Works great.

• nicole93089
    16 years ago

Barkeepers Friend is the best! Then some Glass Plus with a miracle clothe and it shines like the day it was installed. Also use the razor blade for serious burnt on disasters.

• piper101
    16 years ago

BarKeeper's Friend. To me it works the best and is the cheapest. I"ll take what little effort this is to clean over my old gas cooktop where I had to soak and use a toothbrush to get all the elements & rings clean any day of the week!!

• jenniferandbob_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I accidently melted some polyester material on my stove top (it was a towel). I can't get it off. Any suggestions?

• openeditorialoped_gmail_com
    13 years ago

. . . are there "Stove Busters" similar to Ghost Busters? Who Can You Call ? Re Baked on Olive Oil Spill

• dmartin4015_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Try to prevent any oil or grease build up on the burner by cleaning metal pan bottoms with SOS pad when washing pan or before using on the smooth top stove.

• ritamct_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I sprinkle some bading soda and vinegar on the cook top . Let it sit for 5 minutes then wipe it off with little pressure . It really works like magic!

• marcar731_aol_com
    12 years ago

We just bought a home with a smoothtop range and there is no instruction booklet with it. This is my first smoothtop range. What type of pots should you use with it....anything or something particular. HELP

• srani327_aol_com
    12 years ago

I melted an empty bag of cheese on my glass top stove and now have a huge mark and stain. Any idea how to remove it because it looks awful and stinks when I turn the burner on

• cbaumea_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

dont use glass plate,bowls or bascail any kinda dish or pot,coz it'll scratch the top

• ndhamassoc_cs_com
    12 years ago

We have a Fridgidaire flat, speckled top, electric stove witch is approx. 2 years old... I beleive something boiled over and got burned on to the surface, the end result is a black splotch on the burner area 1.5" dia., (it almost appears that the speckled finish has been burned off in this area),.. We've tried removing the spot using the cleaning fluid that came with the stove, razor blade, etc., lots of rubbing but to no avail, can this be removed or is it burned into the glass top for good..?? Thanks in advance...!!!

• Jubille34_aol_com
    12 years ago

My daughter left an empty pot on the glass top stove and didn't realize the burner was still on. It burned the copper right off the pot and ruined the glass. Does anyone know how to remove the white residue on the glass top ?

• Laurie_landry_rogers_com
    12 years ago

What is barkeeper's friend. Some are saying it cleans glass tops perfectly. Where do you buy it?

• SharperClean
    12 years ago

Glass top stoves are a great creation. They are easy to clean and can provide years of great service. You will never have to clean underneath a burner again. One thing you don't want to use on a glass top stove is glass cleaner. Harsh cleaners such as ammonia and bleach can damage the stove top.

• nsk705_aol_com
    12 years ago

Help! A tenant left a large brunt stain on my glass top stove. I used zep oven cleaner with a razor. Some of the debris came off but there is still some remaining. Any ideas to help me clean the rest of the mess would be greatly appreciated.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Did you read through and try all of the above suggestions?

• ashleyw1140_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I just used windex on my bfs moms stove with a green scrubie and it was about trends minutes or so of scrubbing it was off, we tried the cleaner that came with the stove and it didn't work...windex does!

• kmacpro
    12 years ago

You can get Bar Keepers friend in most grocery stores. If not, Home Depot, for sure. It's also great for your kitchen sink. Try it once and you'll be hooked. I used it on everything... shower, tub, vanities, sinks. Bar Keeper's friend and a little elbow grease = AMAZING!

• vala55
    12 years ago

I use soda on a dish cloth, it that doesn't do it I use the cleaner made for them. I clean after every meal so I don't have much of a problem. I had to scrape twice I think in 5 years.

• S.Mulholland
    12 years ago

We have a Kennmore flat, speckled top, electric stove witch is approx. 2 years old... I beleive something boiled over and got burned on to the surface, the end result is a black splotch on the burner area 4 inches dia., (it almost appears that the speckled finish has been burned off in this area),.. We've tried removing the spot using the cleaning fluid that came with the stove, razor blade, etc., lots of rubbing but to no avail, can this be removed or is it burned into the glass top for good..?? Thanks in advance...!!!

12 years ago

Posted by S.Mulholland
    "We have a Kennmore flat, speckled top, electric stove ... "

I have demonstrated to my satisfaction that it is not too difficult to rub off the speckles from a modest Kenmore electric. I thought I had a splotch of stuff burned onto the surface in one place and using a cleaner that came with the stove and a 3M green thing I rubbed it too vigorously and removed the burned stuff and speckles around the splotch too.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Vinegar with baking soda, let sit for a while first, cleans it off nicely!

• KC66
    10 years ago

Which Bar Keepers Friend is everyone using? The cream or the powder?

• kks_mom
    10 years ago

I think the cream would be better??

• kks_mom
    10 years ago

I think the cream would be better??

• AngieB55
    10 years ago

I have a 9 month old Kenmore glass top stove and after scrubbing with the cleaner that came with the stove and trying a mixture of peroxide and baking soda and still couldn't get the burned on spill off, I tried turning on the burner with no pots on it and burning it off and then wiping away the residue and it worked! I thought if self-cleaning ovens work by burning off the residue it should work for the stove top too. I have also used a glass scraper to remove burned on residue with no scratches.

• Muffin_Momma
    9 years ago

I have 2 words... Easy Off. I have had two houses with glass top stoves. The first house I did everything that everyone suggested and it worked OK but never really got it all of without scratching the top. My new stove has had some baked on reside for a while and I was hesitant to scratch the top. I know that you can clean the oven glass doors with easy off so I tried it on the stove top. I turned the burner on for about 15 seconds then sprayed easy off. I let it sit for about 1 hour and wiped with a paper towel. Viola it is perfect with no scrubbing. Be careful to spray on painted part of your stove as it can remove paint, Just put a towel over the painted part.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I second the suggestion for the liquid Barkeeper's Friend. Just let it soak in to cooked on spills and that brown haze that accumulates on the burners then wipe it off with a damp sponge. .

• jane7733
    9 years ago

I have a 22 year old Whirlpool glass top stove and it is totally smooth. My husband has repaired it, and we are finding it difficult to obtain parts so are looking to buy a new one.

But here is the key, the NEW stoves have a very slight texture to the glass, making it much more difficult to clean.

I use Weiman ceramic cleaner on my old one and its just like it was brand new.

I am leery of buying a new stove, after seeing my neighbours struggling with keeping theirs clean.
    I will have to continue to search for a new burner unit for my old stove, or just have 3 burners that work.

• dachshundlover
    8 years ago

I have a Kitchenaid range with a white glass top. I have been religious about cleaning it after every use with either one of the cleaners made for it or using a razor blade and liquid Soft Scrub or, for stubborn stains, Barkeeper's Friend. In spite of this, in less than 2 years, both of the burners that I use the most have developed a slight brownish discoloration that will not come off. I have seen in previous posts that others have had this problem but have not been able to see where anyone has a solution. Is this something I just have to live with? This stove was expensive and I hate for it to look dirty when it isn't. I'm wishing now that I had just gotten one with a black top.

• Vertise
    8 years ago

Have you tried vinegar and baking soda? It works on tough areas very well. You have to let it sit and bubble for a while.

• jacksiman
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Okay. Whirlpool Gold ceramic cook top. Clean pretty regularly but last week top developed rings that looked like oil slick, flat on the surface, that would not rub or scrape off. Tried glass top cleaners, baking soda, rubbing and rubbing, but nothing worked. My partner cleans pots with Bar Keepers Friend. Saw that recommended on this thread - presto!. Worked with almost no scrubbing. Seek no further. This is the solution.

• zippity1
    7 years ago

i've used a razor blade for about 10 years quick and easy

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

razor blade. 7 years, no scratches. Windex or vinegar and water for spray and wipe.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

Another vinegar and baking soda for tough stains. Routine cleaning is Windex Vinegar spray.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

Baking soda works great. Works well, cheap, fast. I also mix it with vinegar for a soak. Has anyone been using baking soda for years without damage to the glass?

• fab82011
    6 years ago

I have an old glass top stove that I've had for 16 yrs. Over the years just about everything imaginable has been spilled onto it. There are some pitting on the burners. For spills I've typically used dish soap and water (which I was told could be used by the individual who sold me the stove). So far all the posts that I've seen haven't mentioned this at all. Could this be one reason why there seems to be quit a bit of pitting? I obviously rinse the soap of as much as possible once I've finished wiping down the stove top. But it's almost impossible to know for sure that all dish soap has been removed before I cook again. Is there anything that can help remove this pitting?

6 years ago

Friends at the senior center insist that some old glass tops were not as good as newer ones. How do they know? They have not had the new ones very long. Right? I don't think dish soap had anything to do with it.

• Pallet Enterprise
    3 years ago

what no reply to option? anyway, some say to use car wax...blah...what you need is a 'deep cleaner'. something like brasso. haven't tried it yet, but hoping to get feedback from someone who has!