Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Need Cleaning Tips for Over the Range Exhaust Fan

Laurie
12 years ago

I have a professional stove, a Viking. It throws off a ton of heat on the stove top, even when just the oven is on.

My exhaust fan works well, but wow, it is SO difficult to keep clean. I find that grease build up is ridiculous on it. It gets all around the halogen lights even. I don't know if it wasn't installed high enough (although it seems to be) or if this is just the nature of these things. I've never had one before, only microwaves over the stove in the past and I don't ever remember having this much junk build up before.

I'm having a terrible time trying to keep this clean. Nothing seems to work and I can't even figure out how to take it apart enough to clean it thoroughly. I can get the filters out but from there, it tough to get your hands into the unit to clean all the way inside of it!

I'm not even sure what the right way to clean any of it is. Nothing seems to really pick up the grease. I tried putting the filters into the dishwasher. That, was NOT the right thing to do at all - it wound up discoloring them somewhat; wanted to kick myself. Luckily, you don't really notice it once they were back up (and I'm sure I can get replacements anyway).

The hood is a Zephyr if that makes any difference.

Cleaning the outside, on top isn't an issue, a spritz of any household cleaner works, and dusting in between. It's the bottom of it, and inside where all the cooking splatter occurs that I'm having problems with.

Thanks!

Comments (4)