Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of stain in plastic vanilla extract bottle?

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 16:24

I have been reusing an old plastic vanilla extract bottle for years because I like the little spout it has to squirt the vanilla out into the measuring spoon. Before refilling it with more vanilla I thought it would be better to get rid of the stain. I used a tiny bottle brush but was not able to get much off because of the small opening of the bottle. I love this bottle. It is a Tone's vanilla extract that I bought at Costco years ago. Of course they haven't carried it for a long time. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of stain in plastic vanilla extract bottle?

could you soak it with a diluted bleach/water solution? Is it plastic or glass? If it's plastic, you may not be able to get the stain out.

o

The stain shouldn't hurt anything, as long as the bottle is clean. Just wash it out with hot soapy water, let it dry and refill. The stain wouldn't bother me at all.

o

Exactly, as long as you like the bottle and it serves its' function, don't obsess over the stain.

o

Although the bottle is stained part of it has a coating that if I were able to reach the inside of the bottle I would be able to scrub it off. Several tries with very hot soapy water doesn't take it off.

o

Then I guess I would put something acidic in there like lemon juice or vinegar, let it sit, dump it out but don't rinse it, add some rice grains and shake it really well to loosen vanilla, repeat until gone. Then wash in hot soapy water and dry.

o

I thought vanilla extract was made with alcohol so I would try vodka, perhaps.

o

Just be careful that the plastic isn't starting to breakdown. If you see cracks I would just recycle it. Be sure the coating inside the bottle isn't the plastic eroding.

o

Hi lazycook,

I found some information on Tone's vanilla extract, which may help you. The vanilla extract still has a pour spout, & is available at Sam's Clubs. You can also order direct from Tone's.

"This product is packaged in a clear recyclable plastic bottle with a tamper evident foil-lined inner seal. The bottle has a pour spout lid for ease of measuring. For best results, store tightly closed in a cool dry place.
http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=86

Sams Club locator
http://www.tones.com/locator.html

For Tone's Products not available at your local store, please call Diversified Distributing at 1-877-453-1638 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday, to place your order. Or order online from SpiceMall here.
http://www.tones.com/product_guide/tones_homeuse_spices.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Ordering from Tone's

o

"I thought vanilla extract was made with alcohol so I would try vodka, perhaps."

Me too. About 1/2 cup, mixed with a little peach schnapps and some orange juice. Add 3 ice cubes, stir, and enjoy. If stain still bothers you, repeat as necessary.

Barbara

o

LOL!!!

o

When I have found lids/tops that I like, I save the top until I find the bottom that it will fit. I did that this morning and it reminded me of your post. I love re-purposing things.

o

Martha Stewart herself recommends re-using plastic squeeze bottles, fill them with liquid soaps,etc. So you are ahead of the curve with your vanilla bottle. Don't let the stain worry you. Martha approves.

o

mustangs,...THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I put the lid from my stained bottle onto my new bottle of extract and it fit perfectly! Why couldn't I think of this myself? What a great idea. Anyway, thanks to all of you for your ideas and fun comments. What a great forum.

o

I bought a brand new bottle of Tones vanilla a few weeks ago at Sams.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here