Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning a watercolor print

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 06 at 16:07

There are several darker spots on a lighter background of a water color print that I have. I know nothing about watercolors and such. Is there a way to clean this or is this something for the pros? I bought the prints at a resale shop and the spots might be smoke but have no idea.
:-( After giving away one of the prints and putting the other in storage, I found that the artist was not just some local hobbyist.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning a watercolor print

If it is a watercolor, water will make the paint run....if it's done with some sort of ink or a photographic reproduction, it's easier to clean.
Can you mat over the spots? Or how about ignore the spots....if they are good watercolors.
Linda C

o

It is a watercolor so I guess to be conservative, I will need to take it to an artists shop. I found a reference to this watercolor online and was more than a bit surprised at the price range now. My original 15.00 for two watercolors turned out to be closer to $100 for the one I have. The spots are on the main part of the wtercolor so that would certainly diminish it's value. Thanks for the suggestions.

o

I am a watercolor artist. If it is a real watercolor, then it is NOT a print. Do this: get an art gum eraser, the creamy colored crumbly kind. Gently try to erase the spot. Best if this is on an area of paper, not paint. The art gum should not remove the paint, though.

o

A watercolor is one of a kind.....there is no other....if you found a refrence to it on line, then you do not have an original or even a watercolor....you have a print....a photographic reproduction....and that should be quite easy to clean....
Try the eraser like barmnon says.
Linda C

o

I agree with both Linda and Barmnon. You should use the eraser.
Bengt

Here is a link that might be useful: Akvarell

o
RE: Cleaning a watercolor

My picture was purchased at a starveing artist sale. I've had it for years and would like to clean it. What do you suggest?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here