Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New towels are too soft

Posted by mary_228 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 15:51

My husband won't use the new towels I bought because they are too soft. They have been washed in hot water three times and the softness is still there. They are all cotton Macy's Charter Club brand, if that matters.

just wonderd if there's something I can wash them in that will roughen them up a bit!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New towels are too soft

Put them in the washer, on a rinse only cycle. Add a cup of vinegar. That will remove any coatings that may be on the fibres. Or return them to Macy's and ask for a refund.

o

A owel can never be too soft. When they are soft they soak the water better.

o

Sometimes a finish applied to the towels make them feel soft but it makes them water repellent. I have towels like that. So, soft is not always better for soaking up moisture from our body.

o

If they are 100% cotton....and have been washed I really don't believe there is any finish on them
Your husband is just used to towels with a build up of soap and hard water minerals.
Either get out an old towel for him to use....or don't put his towel in the dryer and let it air dry.
Of put an electric fan in the bathroom and tell him to skip the towel, saves on laundry.
Linda C

o

When my MIL died we took her bath towels home to use. But they were too soft - they wouldn't absorb at all. I discovered they were absolutely drenched with downy fabric softener. I washed and washed and washed them. It took about a year before they lost most of the softness and then they started to absorb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here