Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taragirl_gw

how to use a canister vacuum?

taragirl
15 years ago

Hello! I've never used a canister vacuum before, and I'm considering getting one. I have hard floors and dog hair, and I think the wand of a canister vac would be light and easy to manipulate and reach under furniture to get dust bunnies. Also, my current upright vacuum has hard plastic wheels, and my husband is concerned that they might be scratching the finish of the floors.

So... I see that some canister vacuums seem to have a handle on top. Are you supposed to carry the canister around in one hand while you hold the wand with the other? Or does it have to drag around behind you, tripping you and banging into things and tipping over and such? If it drags behind on the floor, are there any with rubber wheels instead of plastic to minimize scratching?

Any recommendations? (Like some other readers, I've done a lot of research here on best vacuums and am now thoroughly confused and exhausted.)

Comments (4)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

You do either one - pick it up, pull it - depending on the situation. You pull it if you are going in a straight line or short distance. You pick it up when pulling it would cause you to trip on it, bang into things, tip over, or go around corners.

Have you considered a backpack vacuum? I've always wanted one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backpack vacuum discussions

• chipshot
    15 years ago

How about bringing what you want to clean to the vacuum?

In practice, moving a canister as one cleans really isn't that difficult. I find that each move puts a new area or group of things within reach. Clean them and then move on to the next new area or group.

Maybe you can borrow a canister (a store interested in selling you a vacuum might have one you can try) to see for yourself?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Go to WalMart, buy one or more and try them and return anything you don't want.

I bought three DVD players, tried them and returned two. No questions asked.

• geguymw
    15 years ago

You can "test drive" canister vacuum cleaners at Sears or at your local vacuum cleaner shop.

Canister vacuum cleaners work really well for people who have carpeting or do not have carpeting, plus vacuum alot of other areas. These areas of the house could be floors, furniture, walls, under beds,in corners, etc. They are not just vacuuming the carpeting. A canister is really not that hard. If you were a person who really just vacuums the carpeting, while occasionally vacuuming furniture, then an upright with onboard tools would feel comfortable for you.

Look at vacuuming the floor. Using an upright requires you to move the whole vacuum around the floor. It is going to be more difficult to go under or in between table legs. A canister is much easier, because you can put the floor brush on the end of the wands and clean the floor; moving around the room and in between table legs. The floor brush can be moved about faster and easier. Also, the majority of the weight is in the canister that is sitting behind you.

The canister does not need to bump into everything if the user is watching what he or she is doing. I hardly ever bump into anything. Most vacuum cleaners come with bumpers anyway.

The canister does not need to be lifted all of the time. You lift it when you get it out or put it away, lift it up and down stairs,etc. Wheels were put on vacuum cleaners, so they could be moved about much easier than carrying them. At one time, when canister and tanks were young, there were no wheels on them. Tank vacuums had skids and canister vacuums had to be lifted when you wanted to move it.

More and more canister vacuum cleaners are coming with rubber wheels. You will just have to find out which ones have them. I can name a few brands that have models with soft wheels like Miele, Bosch, Simplicity, Riccar Hoover, Panasonic, Kenmore, Filter Queen. These are just a few.

Go to Sears, or a vac shop, and get a feel for the machine.