Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning lcd tv screen?

Posted by sheesharee (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 15:06

Hello. I normally hang out on the decorating forum but figured someone here might be able to help me.

We have a 32" LCD tv that all of a sudden has mystery splashes of mystery something on the screen. It's only DH, myself and the cats and nobody is fessing up. Looks like coffee splashes or something.

The tv came with a small, soft, pink cloth but that isn't doing the trick. Microfiber cloth isn't working. Using water seems to just smudge it.

I'm not sure what to use without messing the screen up?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning lcd tv screen?

Rubbing alcohol on a lint-free cloth ... like the cloth sold to clean eyeglasses and computer screens.

o

Did someone pop open a can of soda in front of the TV?

I've 'experienced' that before.

One more vote for the alcohol.

o

I grab a used dryer sheet, and use that to run over dusty TV and computer screens.

o

Any advice that involves the use of any mixture containing either ammonia or alcohol is bogus or obsolete. Always shut off the unit and use a real Microfiber cloth, or well worn piece of clean soft cloth. The cloth should be dampened with distilled water, and wiped very gently from top to bottom with the TV turned off while exerting minimal pressure against the screen. If that doesn't work, buy a brand name cleaner made to deal with the problem at Wal-Mart or similar outlets.

o

I agree with laat2

You cannot clean LED screens like you did with the old analogue TV screens If it doesn't come off with a damp cloth or a microfiber cloth then use a cleaner designed for it. You could ruin your TV using alcohol

o

My instructions said do not use any chemicals or cloths with chems in it. They suggested a soft dry cloth. Your spots could be cause by something inside the TV.

o

I just popped back in this morning to check this.

I need to dig out the owners manual. It's a Sharp Aquos. When we first bought it, two years ago now, the first time I ever dusted/cleaned the screen I used a regular microfiber cloth and water. The screen was fine but DH informed me it came with a special pink cloth for dusting.

Thankfully the marks are only noticeable when the tv is off and you're up close.

Thanks for the responses. I saw they make cleaners for LCD screens but I've read some bad reviews for them too. I'll post an update of how I make out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if mine also says to use the dry cloth it came with since that wasn't cutting it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here