Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Healthier/Greener Alternative to 'Goo Gone'

Posted by cathytx3 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 14:42

I recycle a lot of my glass jars and want the labels off. Some will soak off but most leave a residue. I've been using Goo GOne and it works great but there's gotta be something "greener".

Thanks in advance.
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Healthier/Greener Alternative to 'Goo Gone'

Do you need to remove the labels at all?

o

I am not following. The residue from the labels in not ''green'', right?

o

I recently purchased this Citra-Solv product in the Lavender scent. It removed label residue instantly. Smelled nice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citra-Solv

o

Have you tried putting the jars in boiling water or using a heat gun - or hair drier - to melt the glue?

o

OIL! I'm at a hotel and all I have with me is Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula, but I just removed extremely sticky label glue a few minutes ago. It cleaned it off even better than Goo Gone. You could surely try other types oil.

Why do they have to sell Goo Gone at all? Someone in my house set Goo Gone on a table, and it ate right through the clear varnish and ruined the table. It must be horrible for the environment when there is a perfectly green alternative already in your home.

o

I've found that very fine steel wool will remove all sign of any labeling on a glass jar. It will also remove the stickiness left on a plastic jar, but will scratch it. Being scratched, to me, is far better though than it having a sticky, gummy side down a plastic jar.

o

You should try letting them soak for a couple of days (even 4 or 5). I've always had great luck with just using a mixture of hot water and dishwasher soap.

o

A lot of green products are still destructive, Sheena. Think of the urushiol oil from poison ivy. Very natural and green!

I believe goo gone is mostly just citrus oils. Any citrus based oil will remove labels, varnish, crayon, etc....but it will also remove other things, so you must be careful with it.

So...if you want to be "green" you can just use orange or lemon oil.

o

The best and GREENEST way, use plain old vegetable oil, anyone who says it doesn't work probably isn't leaving it on long enough. It will in fact remove crazy glue even!
Tried every other method posted, and then thought about how, being a nurse, it's what I've told patients who stick their fingers together to use. Most get impatient and say it isn't working but then after 2 to 5 minutes....Unstuck! Then just wash away oil with hot warm water.

o

Goo Gone is NOT "just citrus oil" it contains petroleum solvents. It may not be the most toxic product around but it's not good for you and it's and bad for the environment - during its production and during use and disposal.

Please, don't assume things are "just citrus oil" etc - look up the ingredients. There is a US Health Dept database of household product ingredients, easy to find these things.

Contains Tripropylene glycol methyl ether and Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light

"First Aid: Inhalation: Move to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen and seek medical attention.Skin: Immediately flush with mild soap and water for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if irritation develops. Remove contaminated clothing and launder before reuse.Eye: Immediately flush with water for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention.Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get immediate medical care."
ASPIRATION HAZARD. Harmful or fatal if aspirated into lungs.Inhalation: May cause headache, nausea, drowsiness, central nervous system depression, convulsions and loss of consciousness.

MSDS for Goo Gone

US Dept Health Database

So, here is a cheaper and safer DIY idea: Home Made Gunk Remover

Here is a link that might be useful: Dept of Health Database entry for Goo Gone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here