Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove burned smell in Microwave?

Posted by cube1067 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 14:28

Burned some microwave-able french fries. I've cleaned the entire microwave, went over it with a baking soda paste and a bleach & water solution. Still has that smoke smell. Years ago I burned some popcorn in the same microwave...the burn smell eventually subsided after SEVERAL months..I was looking for a faster way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove burned smell in Microwave?

Try heating vinegar in the microwave....vinegar absorbs odors.

o

We have had good luck with USED coffee grounds.

Just dump your used coffee grounds from your morning coffee pot into a bowl or dump them on a plate.

Leave them in a closed microwave for several hours ... overnight is easy to do. Your odor seems particularly persistent; you may need to do this for several days in a row; each day replenishing with another batch of coffee grounds.

Used coffee grounds in a bowl can be used to keep fridge odors at a minimum, too. We dump the old ones every couple of days and put in a new batch. Seems to work for us as well as a box of baking soda.

Good luck.

o

I read somewhere in an article years ago when I was a teenager about removing odor from microwaves. It suggested a mix of water/lemon juice in a very small bowl and put it on for a minute or 2 and when the steam goes, it kills the smell with lemon. After a little while, it smells nice and removes the odor, so I do that from time to time...it works for me.

The coffee ground tip sounds interesting - will have to try that out. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here