Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carpet cleaning

Posted by plumbly22 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 14:10

I'm in the process of swapping bedrooms, my youngest (10YO) and the 'spare' room... the carpet in the spare room was in great shape... the one where DD has been for a few years on the other hand, is/was disgusting to put it mildly...

I have an upright steam carpet cleaner... so far I've done about half the carpet... I spot treated the worse areas and used a scrub brush on them... and then I have done a 'water' rinse of the carpet, and a water and vinegar rinse of the carpet (to remove as much soap residue as possible...

Believe it or not, there was enough old soap in the carpet to really make the carpet look much cleaner, and the viengar rinse still sucked up all sorts of soap... there are stil a couple of noticeable 'spots' in the section I've done twice now... any suggestions on what to try on these spots before I 'give up' on them and more on teh the rest of the room???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carpet cleaning

I have seen people here highly recommend Windex on spots and peroxide too. I like Folex carpet cleaner from the hardware or grocery store.

o
RE: carpet cleaning

The main ingredient in Windex is ammonia. Maybe a solution of ammonia and water. Just don't mix ammonia and bleach-the fumes can kill you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here