Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pillsurygirl

Miele Capricorn vs Miele Leo what is the difference?

pillsurygirl
13 years ago

Alright, I confess I am completely confused, aside from the color what exactly is the difference between the Miele Capricorn and the Miele Leo? Are the differences worth the exra - $200?

Comments (7)

• westvillager
    13 years ago

The most obvious difference is the way you change power settings: Leo is foot controlled (think that's unique to it) and the Cap's controls are on the top at your fingertips, suction settings and beater bar. Another difference is the size of the powerbrush (their name) that comes with the model. Wide, powerful, adjustable and a headlamp on the Capricorn and an excellent electric one on the Leo.

I have a Capricorn. It's awesome but overkill It's best for wall to wall carpet or large area rugs, but they're equal on hard flooring in my opinion. Same bags, same filters.

ps: I think their uprights are horrible!

• Mepylusk
    13 years ago

Funny you asked that question, I had the same question awhile back.
    I did not think the Capricorn was worth the extra $200 because the only
    difference I could come up with was the color, the indicator to change your HEPA filter and the controls in the handle.

I pretty much had made up my mind to get the Leo and I thought maybe I was missing something so I called Mr Vac & Mrs Sew. They were very nice and told me I was right about the differences. However I landed up with the Capricorn because they had a great phone special on the machine and I am so happy I got the Capricorn.

It is a great vacuum and I really do like the on off in the handle because I can shut the machine off without going back to the machine. I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Capricorn

• pillsurygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A big thanks to Mepylusk. I called Mr Vac and Mrs Sew and they were great.
    I got a great deal on the Leo. They were so nice and they had a deal on an open box so I took it. Well I got in on friday (it was perfect it looked brand new-was a little scared but so glad I ordered it saved lots of $$$$) and I vacuumed all weekend long and I am in love with this vacuum. My carpets look fluffy and my wood floors have no more grit on them. Thanks for your help without your post I would never have known to call them.

• meganmi
    12 years ago

I did a search a few days back wondering the same thing...and that is how I found this post. Here is what I found, it is all summed up when you click on the Hands On Research tab for the Leo at Zadoozy.com. These people were real helpful, and I ended up getting the Capricorn from them. Could not be more pleased. Miele is tops! So is Zadoozy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Leo

• theresse
    11 years ago

I actually took back the Capricorn and got the Leo! My tendonitis was killing me, using the Capricorn's big and heavy hose, wand, awkward handle and powerbrush. I learned from another consumer's online review that if I let go of having the controls on the handle, I could pay a small amount more to get a longer, lighter Miele hose, a longer and lighter Miele wand, and a smaller, lighter and easier-to-hold Miele handle for the majority of my cleaning (in my case, lots of hardwood floors and overhead dusting and dusting in other awkward positions). So now with the Leo I have both the powerful brush and heavier hose, wand and handle for carpets (I only have a couple of big thick carpets) - which I store set upward in the closet where it stays most of the time - as well as the lighter setup for everything else that I keep attached and also standing in an upright position on the vacuum most of the time. My arm no longer hurts when I vacuum everything besides carpets and doing all this other cleaning on hard surfaces is a BREEZE compared to when I was attempting this with the hose, wand and handle that the capricorn comes with. Yes I've lost the controls on the handle but it's so worth it because of the ease of use in these other, more important ways. It would be nice to have the controls on the handle but now that I've had the vacuum a while, I know what setting to keep the vacuum on depending on what I'm vacuuming so I don't actually need the settings anymore unless I'm simply turning it off. Because it's a quiet machine, I'm not frustrated by the fact that the vacuum is staying on while I walk the short distance to tap it off with my foot (the noise doesn't make me want to run). Losing the handle-controls is SO not a deal-breaker, considering. Anyway HTH for those of you who have tennis elbow or the like! ;) Even though this is an old thread!

• theresse
    11 years ago

attempting to delete accidental repeats...

This post was edited by theresse on Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 3:13

• theresse
    11 years ago

Well, gardenweb's improved with the editing option...now if only there were a delete option! : - /

This post was edited by theresse on Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 3:14