Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
researchhound

Cleaning Black Range Tops

researchhound
17 years ago

I originally posted this message in the Appliances Forum but only got one response so I'm hoping my luck will be better here.

We recently purchased a new SS gas range with a black enameled top under the cast iron grills. Greasy foods like bacon splatter all over the top and so far our old standby "409" has proven less than adequate in cleaning it. "409" leaves a lot of streaks and dull film on the surface and requires repeated applications and a lot of wiping to get the job done.

Has anyone found a product (hopefully one you can just get at a regular store and don't have to special order) that works well for this job?

I'm hoping you long time owners of similarly colored ranges have found the perfect cleaner by now.

Thanks!

Comments (35)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

Sorry, I've had mine for 2 years and am still hoping. The baked on stuff in the worst, especially right around the burners. I have tried most common cleaners. Best so far is Bam for Grease, or Holy Cow, which I can't find anymore. Both of these were from Walmart. It can't be anything abrasive because they will make scratches that really show on the black. Barkeeper's Friend is the only abrasive you can get away with; but that does nothing on my baked spills (great for the black sink, though).
    The best thing I've found is multiple applications of cleaner while the whole stove top is hot: so, right after baking something. When I searched a year ago (here) people recommended something called Cerama-brite. This is made for glass cooktops, but I thought it would work on my enamelled top too. But it doesn't; so you can ignore those. A real messy product to wipe off, too.

One thing I found that helps is to use a micro-fiber cloth. One for the actual cleaning (scrubbing) and a fresh water-damp one to wipe off the streaks. I bought a set in the auto supply section of Target that are tougher and less fluffy than most microfiber cloths. Mine are described as being for scraping bugs of the windshield. Disgusting but pretty comparable to what I am doing on the stove.

• cooperbailey
    17 years ago

I bought Fantastic antibacterial kitchen spray it has purple on the bottle- I think- am at work :( and don't remember the name exactly- for keeping the temporary kitchen clean while renovating - and have used it on my new range- like yours black enamel under the cast iron grates. It works great on the enamel and on the stainless on the top. Sue

• researchhound
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linnia and Cooperbailey,
    Thanks for the responses! I'm going to get some of the micro-fiber cloths from Target and Fantastic kitchen spray and give them a try.
    The baked on stuff isn't as big an issue since we attack it as soon as it happens. It's the grease from things like bacon that are driving us nuts.
    RH

• cooperbailey
    17 years ago

wait!! been on the road and first chance to correct my post- I went home and checked and it is actually lysol antibacterial kitchen spray! the purple color is the only part I got right. I hope you haven shopped yet. and I use paper towels, since I my kitchen is not yet done and I dont want ot go to basement to rinse out the microfiber towels.The stuff works great for me- havent had it long enought to have baked on stuff - but grease cleans up easily and is not smeary. Sue

• researchhound
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue,
    Thanks for the update. I went down the cleaning isle at our local megamart but couldn't locate the product you had described. Did see the Lysol product (intense purple container) but I didn't buy it. I will go back and get a bottle now that I know it's what you've used. The constant smearing of the grease when we try and clean is what's bugging us so I'm glad to hear this should cut through it.
    They had a pack of three medium size micro-fiber towels for about $6.50. An average price?
    Dan

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Oven cleaner will work. It will work on grates, burner bibs, and the enamled area under them.

Do not use it on any aluminum parts or on the cooking elements themselves.

• jleek
    17 years ago

glass cleaner with ammonia works for me. I suppose staight ammonia would work . I use vinegar and water for my windows and often on appliances.

• chmarax
    11 years ago

I used Carbona Oven Cleaner (I bought it in the local food store). I let it sit for over an hour on the old stains, wiped with the sponge and no stains left!!!! So happy!!!!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I used a razor scraper to (carefully) remove the cooked on gunk from the PO of our house. Then polished it up with a microfiber cloth and it's good as new!

• kambeatty
    8 years ago

I have had the same issues as everyone who commented. By mistake I have found a great cleaner. Bounty towels with Dawn. After I wipe the top down I dry it with a microfiber towel. No streaks, and the cleanest I have ever gotten my range top. I have been using this method for three months now and perfect everytime. I am able to get even bacon grease up the first time.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    8 years ago

kambeatty, does this only work with fresh grease? Or with baked on?

• kambeatty
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

linnea56

it works on both. I did have to scrub a touch with the old baked on but all in all easy to remove. The Bounty with Dawn paper towels are very sturdy. I only used two towels to do the initial scrub. The towels are designed to dry clear and do on many surfaces including my granat countertops, but to get the shine I wanted on my range top I do use a microfiber towel to dry.

• Tina Garlet-Dean
    8 years ago

Found the perfect mix. Easy off and a magic eraser sponge. Took the old mess off my black enamel cook top. Worked amazing!

• Lori Sanders Stoltmann
    7 years ago

kambeatty, how did you wash off the leftover Dawn? I am thinking water would only make more suds and not clear it off.

• jodibova
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Dawn (small amount) to wipe up most of the grease and grime; Rinse with water; Dry; then use rubbing alcohol on a soft non-streaking paper towel to remove any residue. :)

• Beverly Albright
    7 years ago

My husband is a chef and had to have the new black and stainless stove and man is he messy,but after trying many things the best is dawn dish soap on a soft wet rag and rub around then Windex and paper towels,perfect

• marlmidd
    6 years ago

I have found a technique I am pretty happy with. First, I clean up any spills with a damp cloth and a little Dawn. Then I spray the cool stove top with Stoner Invisible Glass which can be found in the automotive section of Wal-Mart. (This is by far the best glass cleaner and it is all I use for windows in my house and cars...and my range!) I use better paper towels to clean the stove top after letting the Invisible Glass sit for a minute or so. Usually, one spray and wipe is all I need but if the top is particularly greasy, it may take two passes. The Invisible Glass spray can be used on all the black and glass parts of the range. For the stainless steel parts, I use Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes. I have tried everything and like the wipes the best, not only for the range but the fridge and dishwasher, too. Good luck!

• fabric4u2
    6 years ago

A housekeeper may come in and just clean stove and oven for 25 or 30 dollars if you can find someone local. Also you could try purple power can find it at Walmart or mist Dollar stores

• Mary Flannery-Day
    6 years ago

Found the solution!!! Was frustrated for several months trying different cleaners but they always left streaks or a film. Now I clean the stove with a wet rag to remove any residue and then spray with stainless steel cleaner and wipe. Looks brand new every time and could not be happier. Very, very late but hope this helps.

• shrndorris
    6 years ago

Pledge all purpose cleaner and furniture polish is good, I use it , wipe it up with paper towels, then buff with a very soft rag.

• Kenneth Dandurand
    6 years ago

OK, I offer this only because it worked on my Samsung black enamel top.

History: WIfe used 409 and then U-line purple spray to clean the grease from the top. It left white streaks and no matter what I used, it would not come off. Finally, I thought about something that I use to clean car headlights..... The items I used are shown here. I sprayed a little of the Windex clear spray onto the white streaks. Then I used an old 3M headlight refinisher 5000 grit pad in my drill and lightly skimmed over the top and the streaks disappeared. Wiped off the liquid and nothing but shined enamel. Please use the procedure using light pressure. I had NO problem with the above procedure.

• Lise Tole
    6 years ago

Hi

I have found a microfiber cloth with hot soapy water gets rid of the stains followed by a tea towel to soak up water then followed by a shamy which is manmade but I am sure a real one with a bit of h20 on either gets it going to buff it really well. I got it in the auto section of my hardware store. It really makes it all glisten like new and I recommend it very highly to get rid of water spots food specks and streaks of any type. Lisa

• Missy Ventre
    6 years ago
    It's a struggle for me as well. Our current rental has all black appliances, never having dealt with the color before I was totally at a loss. What the heck is this oily film anyway? This is what works form me, and I pretty much use the same method on all the kitchen appliances now. Razor blade(cook top) , all purposes cleaner and a clean sponge for baked on food and such. I dry it with paper towels (microfiber doesn't work well on black appliances) . Then the oily weird uninvited friend gets a spray of rubbing alcohol(most bottles you can just replace the cap with a spray handle) . I tried being fancy and adding some essential oils, however as you might have guess that was a no go . It does not smell awesome but it dissipates fast. I now just kept a spray bottle under the sink and use on all 3of my black beauties. As a final shine.
  • Sue Krentz
    6 years ago

I had smearing problem. I think most cleaners will remove grease, but smears remain. Try a magic eraser after cleaning cook top and after it is DRY. My eraser brought it back to shiny in seconds!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I wipe mine down with a paper towel after cooking to get rid of any grease spatter. But to clean I use Windex - it removes any stuck on gunk and polishes without any streaks or smears.

All my appliances are black - not my choice (existing). And I will say they are lot harder to keep clean and looking good than one would expect!! I find I have to clean them far more often than I did with the white or almond appliances I used to have. Even dust shows up much more easily and obviously!!

• chisue
    6 years ago

I have used Bon Ami on my glass cook tops for 30 years. (Yellow can with the little chick; motto is "Hasn't scratched yet".) It's non-abrasive.

If you have a buildup of dirt, first wet the area and leave to let it soften up. Get as much off as you can with soap and water -- any grease-cutter will do. If you need to use a razor blade, use one. Finish with Bon Ami on a damp paper towel; rinse well, wipe dry, and you're done.

Like all cleaning, this is less work if you keep up with the soil. A quick wipe *before* spills harden is best.

• HU-848113158
    5 years ago

thank you all! What work beautifuly for me was the magic eraser and I shined it up with thieves cleaner.

• kathleen mccarthy
    3 years ago

Same problem here when cleaning my black stove top. Those streaks drive me crazy and I spend way too much time and product trying to make it shine. Like the other comments, I found that if I let whatever cleaner I use (too many to mention) and let it soak for a minute or two before trying to wipe it clean. Absolutely , the microfiber buffer works well. I just figured that out after trying so many things, and yes, I get it in the auto section. Seems to work for now, I just wish I didn't have to spend all that time trying to get it shiny clean. Now my problem is my black sink. I think its far too gone to get it shiny. I've looked at many solutions sort of having a professional come in to shine it or replacing it with a stainless steel sink....ugh...oh well, it looked so good when we put it in and now it's dull....

• Marissa Dulaney
    3 years ago

I used to have the streaky problem and started using easy off degreaser and it seemed better. Over the past couple of weeks though my stove now has dull, grayish rings around the burners I use most. Any of these tips suggested for this? Dawn and easy off aren’t doing it. Is it actually damaged?

• krissie55
    3 years ago

Looks like the finish has been scrubbed off of the metal.

• Carolyn Dwyer
    3 years ago

I had the same issue with my Samsung stove. I tried several products so here's the ones I that you would apply, then buff off. Some scrubbing is required if you have stuck on food.

Rock Doctor Granite and Quartz Polish. They make a cleaner too but don't buy it, make sure you get the POLISH.

Also Gel Gloss, you apply it and let it dry slightly then buff it off.

Last one is called Off The Wall, it's for pools and hotjobs but I use it on stove tops with great results. It's a gel that you apply and you can scrub if needed then wipe with a damp cloth then buff with a dry cloth. It works great on Fiberglass tubes and Glass shower doors too. Leaves them looking like new! You can buy online or at a pool supply store.

I hope that helps

• marlmidd
    3 years ago

Thanks. Since I originally posted, I found that just DAWN on a wet dishrag cleans the top beautifully. It takes maybe two rinses with the same dishcloth and a wipe with a paper towel....done. I use Dawn to clean my shower, toilet, pretty much everything and it is also good for septic tanks. Good luck!!!

• Pamela Morris
    2 years ago

Thank you for the magic eraser idea , ive been trying for monnths to get the same gunk build up off , and i live by these little white gems but never did i think it there . WOO!HOO!!!

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Be aware, that magic erasers, act like sand paper and can damage your appliances, cabinets and walls.