Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning tomato sauce stains out of plastic

Posted by cearab (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 13:03

I stored some homemade tomato sauce in a plastic container, and it appears completely stained red now. Normally, I wouldn't care, but this is a very nice Tupperware container so I would like to get it clean. I tried scrubbing it, soaking it, and also tried the Mr. Clean magic sponge. Nothing has worked. Is there a sure fire way to get rid of the red stains?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning tomato sauce stains out of plastic

If you have a dishwasher, get the Cascade Plastic Booster, it's sold in a tube by the dishwasher rinse agents. I love this stuff, it works great. I can't find it everywhere but I think WalMart carries it. It's around 3.00.

o

Many people swear by setting it in the sun and let the sun bleach out the stain. Never tried it myself but would like to know if it actually works or is just another urban legend.

o

Thanks. I haven't seen that Cascade booster, but will look for it. Going to try some denture tabs first, since I just bought some (use them for cleaning coffee cups). I'll let you know if that works first.

o

Oh please do, my stepdad has tons of those! :)

o

Try Chloride Clean-up Cleaner with Bleach.

o

This is a tried & true method. Do not use HOT WATER on plastic containers w/red sauce. Soak in cold water w/a drop of dishwashing liquid for a while. Then you will be able to clean out container w/no red residue. I have been doing this for years & have no stains on my plastic containers. Also, before freezing red sauce, spray 1st w/Pam, etc. Sauce will come out easier & help prevent stains. Good luck & let me know how this works.

o

The sun method works for me..... I have been doing this method for years.....

o

Hot water and just a few drops of Clorox bleach should work. I learned this at a Tupperware party years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here