Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musty smell in blanket

Posted by chemocurl (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 12:55

I was given a nice vellux blanket. It had been in a room that had a really musty odor to it, and now the blanket smells musty as well.

I washed it with Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Deodorizing detergent, and let it set in the washer several hours b4 rinsing and adding Downey to the rinse. I haven't put it in the dryer, as it smells as musty as ever.

What might I try...it is not usable as it is, and I can't even store it smelling that way.

I thought of maybe hanging it out on a sunny day..maybe for several sunny days making sure that all of both sides were exposed to the sun for several hours.

TIA...Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musty smell in blanket

You could also try adding vinegar to the rinse water, skipping the fabric softener.

o

I believe Vellux is Dacron and that does hang onto odors!!
I would try, first the outside on a sunny day cure....and then if it still smelled, I would wash it in Oxy Clean. There is somethning on the fibers that makes it smell....so the trick is to get it out!
Linda C

o

You can try Borax. I think the brand it 20 mule team, or 50 mule team or something like that. It takes the smell out of cloth diapers, husbands t-shirts/socks etc. It's pretty gentle and it also helps brighten your whites.

-Stella

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here