Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help asap

Posted by bambrose (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 12:47

We recently bought a mobile home last fall as a second home and there is a really bad smell to it. We ripped up the old carpets already, painted all of the walls, used glade plug ins, bleached/cleaned all cabinets and surfaces but the smell is not going away. We are going to the house tomorrow morning and need some good ideas to try to get the house smelling better for when we re-open it in April.

I am planning on setting up a dehumidifier in the crawl space basement, plugging in some air freshners, and putting white vinegar in bowls in each room.

Does anybody have any other ideas that might help get rid of the stink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help asap

Do you know what the may be causing the stink..?

o

Did you buy it as part of an estate? You know what I'm thinking...

o

I'd try putting bowls of baking soda thru out and possibly crumbled up newspaper in drawers etc....
Try finding mesh bags of volcanic rock, they absorb odors too! Setting them in the sun reactivates them.
Sam's Club carries a wonderful product called OdoBan. Check it out on their website, they post detailed info about it.
I believe they also sell it at Lowe's too.
Good luck!

o

Check your heating, a/c ducts. There may be water or even mice in them (I saw that on a TV show--the poor people couldn't figure out where the smell came from).

Hopefully, the smell isn't mold in your ceilings or walls.

Don't forget to move the stove and fridge if you haven't already checked there. My sister had a dead mouse under her stove that smelled pretty bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here