Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_of_mpls

how to restore old leather

John_of_MPLS
19 years ago

We acquired three old leather chairs that are very dried out. What should we use to restore them and then keep them up?

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    19 years ago

I use "microcrystalline book wax", available at most stores that specialize in antique books.

• raybeck
    19 years ago

lazygardens, can you give us a little more detail. I have a leather sofa, several chairs and ottomans and would love to know more about the microcrystalline wax. Does it give the leather a sheen? I'm always looking for a way to keep my leather looking like new. Can you order it over the internet and do you just wipe it on, etc. Thanks so much for any info you have to offer.

• John_of_MPLS
    Original Author
    19 years ago

lazygardens, after getting your answer I did a search for microcrystalline book wax and came up with many possibilities. The following web site looked good to me. What brand do you use?

http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/RenWax.html

• hamptonmeadow
    19 years ago

Take the advice of an old horsewoman who has LOTS of tack (saddle, bridles etc) that need restoration and or upkeep. Go to a good tack web site and look up leather care. You do not want one that contains neetsfoot oil or that changes the color (darkens) the leather. I would think this would be a very good place to find good products. Horse people are probably the fussiest people regarding leather you will ever know. We pay thousands of dollars for saddles (more than most leather furniture) and so we give our equipment the very best of care. I had a leather sofa that I used Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner on. Looked lovely. Not greasy!

• bodiCA
    19 years ago

I'm with hamptonmeadow. I prefer to condition my saddles rather than wax. It is always fascinating to see leather restored but wax won't help brittle leather. I too have used Lexol conditioner on old tack with success.
    Any sidesaddles out there needing a good loving home?

• John_of_MPLS
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hamptonmeadow I did a search on google for lexol cleaner and conditioner. Found lots of sites. I do believe that is what I will purchase. Thanks a lot. I won't get to use it just yet though. The chairs our in our cabin in Northern Minnesota, which is closed for the winter. I just looked your page up and you too live in Minnesota. I don't need to explain clossing up to you.

p.s. I am John's wife.

• hamptonmeadow
    19 years ago

Yes, I do understand closing up! LOL Ya sure, you betcha!
    You will love Lexol. Look up Stateline Tack online to find where they are in Minnesota. Any tack shop has this stuff. They have stores in Petsmart or the other Pet.... (can't remember the name). Don't know where you live but there is one in Burnsville. You can get the big containers of it there. It isn't too terribly expensive. Works like a charm. Clean with the cleaner first, and then the conditioner. You may have to condition more than once at first .. wait a few days between. And you may have to do it every year before you close because winter (unheated)is terrible on leather.

• cewsbw_netins_net
    13 years ago

I am starting to work on my old 1927 hearse. It has the original leather seats. They are crispy critters. I will try to find some Lexol cleaner and conditioner on them. I also have 3 saddle to try it on.