Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Magic Erasers Work for Cleaning WIndows

Posted by mary_max (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 12:17

Does using magic erasers to wash windows hurt the windows? Perhaps you have had experience with this. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Magic Erasers Work for Cleaning WIndows

Magic Erasers would be a very expensive way to clean windows, because they tend to break apart when wet, and I would be cautious it may etch the glass or damage any protective UV coating due to the Melamine foam. " ...when melamine resin cures into foam, its microstructure becomes almost as hard as glass causing it to act like a SUPER-fine sandpaper on stains."

Instead, try a bucket with a gallon of warm water and add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. Use a professional-grade sponge/squeegee. Wet the windows well with the sponge side, then remove it with the squeegee side. Use a cloth rag to catch any drips. The cornstarch/water solution actually has a slight sheeting action so it repels rain for a short period of time after it's applied. I learned this method from a professional window washer.

-Grainlady

o

Thanks GrainLady! Glad I asked about the magic erasers. Yikes! These windows are very high. I can only spray with hose then brush with long pole. And brushing is extremely hard due to the angle. As far as wiping I usually only hose to rinse the window. Do you think your solution (I'm excited to try it) would just hose off and work okay or does it need to be wiped since it has the cornstarch in it.

o

Hi Cleaning tip forum!

I found this on a blog somewhere a few weeks ago.. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

I have not tired it yet but will soon. The blog had some great photos of the process and those windows looked amazing after they had dried.

If you have bushes under your windows be sure to really wash them down and water well afterwards to dilute any solution that falls in that area.

Streak Free Window Cleaner

• 1/2 bottle of “Jet Dry” (the bottle I bought was just under 7 ounces so I measured out 3.5 ounces)
• 4 Tablespoons Alcohol (I used rubbing alcohol….70% I believe)
• 1/4 Cup Ammonia
• 1 handful of powdered dish-washer soap (which depending on the size of your hand could probably vary quite a bit! lol. I used a “handful” which looked to me to be about 1/4 cup. Give or take.)
• 2 Gallons of Hot Water
• Mix in a bucket

Squirt windows with spray nozzle.

Use a long-handled brush (we used one of those car washing microfiber thingies,) dip it in the solution……
(a mop might work?)

……and scrub windows thoroughly.

Then spray windows thoroughly to rinse.

A little while later….the windows will dry to an even shine with no wiping or squeegeeing!

Oh look!! I found the website, there are tons of comments after to post you may want to read through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Streak-Free Window Cleaner…No Wiping or Squeegeeing Required!

o

My Mom taught me to take an empty spray bottle, fill with two thirds water and one third plain (not sudsy) ammonia and use that for windows and mirrors. . Wipe with paper towels or a soft clean absorbent cloth. Finish by going over with some crumpled white tissue paper. Your windows will shine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here