Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley1228_gw

My son peed on his carpet hoe do I get the smell out

ashley1228
15 years ago

after I had my second child my oldest son started peeing on his carpet I have rented a stem carpet cleaner and cleaned the carpets several times but the smell is still there I don't have much money so I was hoping for an easy inexpensive suggestion, it has already cost me a bundle renting the stem cleaner and products so many times is there anyone who could help me please?

Comments (20)

• polly929
    15 years ago

How about leaving some baking soda on the spot since it absorbs odors, and then vacuuming it? It worked for me once after a nephew peed on my area rug. Good luck.

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

ashley, try pouring hydrogen peroxide on the carpet. I have used it successfully on mine. It's very good for removing blood, food spots, etc. It's inexpensive & doesn't hurt or discolor the carpet.

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

I'm thinking *Natures Miracle* It's an enzyme cleaner, you can get it at the pet store. I've used it on carpet for puppy accidents and it really does work. Can't see why it wouldn't work for people pee too.

• gina_in_fl
    15 years ago

Forex... Available at Big Box Home Stores. Spray it on, sop it up. Make the kid do it as a consequence for his action.

Some of our biggest problems in the world are "lack of consequences for our actions".

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Yeh, get that two year old child scrubbing - that will assure him he is loved. Sheez.

I agree with the suggestion to use an enzyme cleaner. I use Nature's Miracle, but there are other enzyme cleaners on the market that other pet owners say are even better. You could scan the pet forums for other options.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Nature's Miracle, and also PetZyme, or UrineKleen, which I think are even better. No steam needed, as it chemically neutralizes the problem when you follow the directions.

• justkaren
    15 years ago

Posted by graywings (My Page) on Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 8:16

Yeh, get that two year old child scrubbing - that will assure him he is loved. Sheez.
    I agree with the suggestion to use an enzyme cleaner. I use Nature's Miracle, but there are other enzyme cleaners on the market that other pet owners say are even better. You could scan the pet forums for other options.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree...make the kid help. Yes...I'm a parent and have grown kids...so I know of what I speak....and to save money use plain old baking soda....rub in, let sit for a day, vacuum up.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

A child who is urinating inappropriately because he feels unloved is not going to benefit from a cleaning session.

• jonsgirl
    15 years ago

Where in the original post does it say he feels unloved??

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

I worked in a clinical lab for about ten years. Perhaps my olfactory capacity was numbed by the experience but I was surprised to read of a persistent smell. My only contribution the the discussion would be to take a sample of the child's urine to a pediatrician. I have been away from the lab for decades and the memories a flaky but I cannot think of anything that should leave a persistent smell.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Just like with pet urine it may not just be the carpet that has been damaged but the wood flooring under the carpet may be soaked with urine.

If the above suggestions do not work you may have to think about replacing the carpet and sealing the floor with Spar Varnish. Maybe the whole floor has to be replaced. Lift the carpet and see if there are stains in the wood.

And yes, make him clean it. A day of scrubbing won't hurt anything but his ego and that should solve the problem.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I use an inexpensive product called Odormute that is great for getting out cat pee odor. It can be found on line and at some local stores. Just mix some with water and you're good to go. It will not fade or stain. It's even safe enough to spray on grass and plants.

I would pour some on the area and then blot up excess with a cloth. Let dry thoroghly

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Where in the original post does it say he feels unloved??

Here, where the OP says:

after I had my second child my oldest son started peeing on his carpet

The OP is linking the older child's behavior to the arrival of a younger sibling. Dogs and cats also tend to do this.

• jonsgirl
    15 years ago

Yeah, I actually did read it, and again, I don't see where it says he feels unloved....insecure maybe, or in need of attention...

Ashley, if the odor is not coming out, it has most likely penetrated the padding. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to call a professional just to ask what they could do, and then maybe try it yourself. Good Luck, I know how awful that is!

• graywings123
    15 years ago

OK, jonsgirl, this should clarify it:

A child who is urinating inappropriately because he feels unloved/insecure/in need of attention is not going to benefit from a cleaning session.

• jonsgirl
    15 years ago

What I meant was I did not see where the OP (!) says her son is feeling unloved. I READ your post. I understand what you meant. REposting what YOU said does not clarify anything. I think all the OP was looking for was some advice on getting the urine smell out of her carpet, not parenting advice. That's another forum. You can have the last word if you need it, but I am done.

Anyways..............Ashley, are you having any luck?

• graywings123
    15 years ago

jonsgirl - look at the post directly above my original post. I was responding to it:

Posted by gina_in_fl on Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 23:49 Forex... Available at Big Box Home Stores. Spray it on, sop it up. Make the kid do it as a consequence for his action. Some of our biggest problems in the world are "lack of consequences for our actions".

My response: Yeh, get that two year old child scrubbing - that will assure him he is loved. Sheez.

• leoraclark_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i find it reduculas that people are more interested in arguing a point regarding your child rather than the issue at hand! good entertainment! :) i came for answers my grandfather is ill. thanks for the help! take care and god bless

• elegraphy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I second for using hydrogen peroxide directly on any fresh or old pee or poo stain, use paper towel to suck up all the liquid, repeat if needed. I also use citrus essential oil like grapefruit or orange or lemon (other essential oil is OK if you prefer), mix with water or alcohol to neutralize the residue smell that didn't clean up by hydrogen peroxide.