Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Tips on How To Clean Clay Soil from Linoleum Type Tiles

Posted by debelli (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 10:46

We purchased a house last month with flooring that looks like tile with simulated grout lnes, but isn't, it's a resilient type of linoleum, possibly Nafco brand, but not sure since I have no clue what previous owners bought.

I have been cleaning this floor non-stop! I get to a point I get disgusted and stop and come back days later.

The yard has clay soil and I guess it must be all over the floor, but yet, when you look at the house, you'd think it clean. I get about 4 tiles in (big 16x16 tiles, but still) and have to change the water. I was cleaning with TSP and just kept wasting it. Now I'm hitting it with just clear water and THEN tsp THEN water again - it's still coming up dirty!

Unfortunately, there's a LOT of flooring, probably over 600sq feet of it, and it's taking me forever just to get the living room done.

Anyone have any good recommendations on what's good to use to bring up clay soil? Would something like Oxyclean work, or should I stick with the TSP, or something else?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Tips on How To Clean Clay Soil from Linoleum Type Tiles

You can use a Rug Doctor (rental) on hard flooring.

I feel your pain! We had to clean red clay out of our basement after it was constructed. It was an awful job, but at least we were able to prime and paint over it.

Once you have it clean, think about laying sod in the yard so that the clay soil doesn't get on shoes and your dog's feet when you walk in the yard. That stuff is horrible!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Doctor

o

No dog to worry about, just the other half and his shoes.

The floor is a Nafco floor, I found out today. I'm wondering if the previous owners used something that stripped away the coating and now the clay/dirt is just being absorbed in to the vinyl. I feel it's a never ending battle. I want to get this floor clean already. I'm getting nowhere fast with it, that's for sure.

Thanks!

o

Try this stuff: http://www.krudkutter.com/redclay.asp

I know! I live in Georgia! You can get it at Home Depot.

o

Monaw, thank you! I've seen other Krudkutter stuff on store shelves, but never for clay soil. Wonder if it could be because I live(d) in SOFLA and there is no clay soil????

I'll definitely be on the look out for it now. Tell me please, what have you found it works on - hopefully, everything????

THANK YOU!!!!

o

No worries if you can't find it there, just go here:
http://www.amazon.com/KRUD-KUTTER-RC32-Remover-32-Ounce/dp/B000RUEE3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1267501991&sr=8-1 (There's a description of what to use it on)

I've used it on just about everything that had a clay stain on it, from concrete garage floor, basement utility concrete floor, stucco, fiberglass, cotton socks, teeshirts (yard work) and tennis shoes. ( Rinse it out of your clothes before adding it to a front loader!) Oh, I also got some clay out of carpet. It says its colorfast...

Our stucco wall that was terribly stained and we cleaned all the clay off before painting. It worked beautifully!

I don't have linoleum so I haven't tried that, but the description says it works on linoleum.

I also go through gallons of the regular krud kutter....love the stuff!

Good luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here