Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning cast iron tub

Posted by jjam (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 10:00

I have two cast iron tubs with a non slip design built into the tub on the bottom. The design is now grey where the rest of the tub is still shiny and white. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning cast iron tub

Use white vinegar to wet and saturate tub bottom and sponge. Next, take baking soda and sprinkle on wet surface as well as vinegar saturated sponge and scrub bottom of tub. Open a window or ventilate the room as the vinegar smell can be a little overwhelming. It takes a little elbow grease, but works well. It will foam also. This is the same ingredients used to make volcanoes for school projects !!! These ingredients will not harm the surface of the tub.

o

Have had several cast iron tubs. I would soak the areas in pure bleach. DEFINITELY vent the room and when you go back in after an hour or so of soaking - wash it out really quick! (holding your nose ;)

TNLady

o

I tried the vinegar and baking soda and it is taking some elbow grease, but what a difference! It really works.

I'm curious about the bleach option. I had thought of that, and it would be less labor intensive, but I thought I had read somewhere that the finish would be damaged by pure bleach. If TNLady has had success with it, I may use it later on to maintain the new white look. Thank you!

o

If it's really porcelain on cast iron, bleach won't hurt it.
Linda C

o

I have a suggestion for all bathroom and kitchen(VERY hi-concentrated, all purpose cleaner) cleanups. I couldn't believe how it worked but it did it before my eyes--a Conklin product called MOX. I happen to be a Conklin Distributor, so give me a call(402-617-5542) if you have cleaning problems that you cannot solve.

o

Magic Eraser got our scratched tub spotless. It took 2 erasers to do the job

o

Try soft scrub with bleach and a scrubbie pad, or comet cleanser with a scrubbie pad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here