Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just can not get steam mop pads clean - help

Posted by peabody1 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 9:50

I just can not get my steam mop pads clean. First, let me say that we do not wear shoes in the house, but we do have a couple of little dogs. I have tried soaking the steam mop pads for many hours. I've tried borax, bleach, vinegar, OxyClean (not all at once). I've scrubbed them on a scrub board. I cannot use any products with a perfume-like smell (such as most laundry detergents). I use All Free & Clear, I think it is called. No odor. Apparently I am not doing something right. I just cannot get the white pads to look like they have been washed. Does anyone else have this problem? Or what do you to get them sparkling clean?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just can not get steam mop pads clean - help

Don't you think they are just stains? Almost any rag that is used to clean will eventually look grungy.

o

I'd like mine to be clean too and tried but it's just not gonna happen. They're stained, not dirty. After some counseling, I'm learning to get over it (g) Srsly, it's ok. It would be nice if they could look pristine but I don't think it's possible but if you find a way, let us know!

o

Why do they need to be white? They will get stained, but the dirt is washed out. No one else will see them :)

o

As long as they still work, it's okay.

o

I wondered about this too, and since they are microfiber ( at least mine are for the shark steam mop I have) I am hesitant to use anything too strong even bleach. They are pretty discolored. I wash them with whites and don't machine dry them. I figure if I ever think I need them to be white white.... I will buy another pair of them but I know now that after using them just a few times on a relatively clean floor, they will just discolor..

o

I know this message is a few months after the initial question - but thought it might help!

I soaked my shark mop pads in my sink, about 2 inches deep with hot water and 3 scoops of OxyClean. I also rubbed some OxyClean directly on the worst stains before soaking them for a few hours.

After about 2 hours of soaking, I grabbed an old toothbrush and got to scrubbing. So much dirt came out! It worked best when I kept the mop pad submerged in water and scrubbed. They're not completely white, but so much better than before!

Hope this helps.

o

I've had a similar obsession with my microfiber towels which, over time, do get stained from dirt. My former routine was to let them soak in Oxy for 24 hours and then launder and rinse twice.

After reading the Laundry Form on GardenWeb, I did try using some laundry soap called RockinGreen (no, I don't work for the company). They recommend 3 TBS in a soak for 20-60 minutes then finish washing and rinse twice. While the first round was definitely better, I have noticed that after several regular washings with the soap, my microfiber feels thicker and plusher and is a bit cleaner. Yes, there are still a few of those stains there but overall the soap seemed to help with absorbency of the towels.

The detergent does come in several fragrances but by the time the load is done, I can't smell anything at all. I think they have a free and clear version as well.

Just thought I'd pass it along...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here