Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage Chandelier - Yuck!!

Posted by oceangirlme (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 9:49

I'm hoping that some of you will have some suggestions on how I should go about cleaning this chandelier. The house we just purchased was formerly a rental so who knows when this chandelier was last cleaned. We've also pulled down a wall of horse hair plaster and sanded the floors in the dining room so it is a mess.

There is also some wear on the chandelier. Any suggestions on what I should do with that spot?

Thanks so much!!

Chandelier

Chandelier2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage Chandelier - Yuck!!

Post this on the Decorating Forum. Lots of people over there have fixed up old chandeliers. They will be drooling over this one!

o

Hi,
Don't bother to clean it. Have it taken down and send it out to be rewired. You have no idea what the condition of the wiring is. Let's burn your house down while you are at it. I have one that is 70 year old or better and every time I have had it put up I have this done. I have re-hung this 4 times in the last 30 years. You will have a problem with the wires for the earings! LOL The wires R brittle and will break. I have picked up over 300 through the years at garage sales for pennies. I can change the look in a heartbeat. This looks like Bronze so if U don't want to spend the $ I think that you would be able to touch it up with Rub & Buff. They have an Antique Bronze and Brass. Due to it's age you might have to have to use some of their brown. The key thing is as when U R trying to do this is use a ruler and measure all of the colors a a strip of foil with a ruler. This stuff is like a toothpaste tube. Once U are able to match the color U will need to have the magic formula. This way U will get it right every time.

Good luck!

o

Can the hanging crystals be removed? If so, I would wash them with vinegar and water if soap and water doesn't work. You might also want to think about painting it. There are paints that give a "faux" look, such as the bronze it seems to be. Or you could paint it to match other fixtures in the area of the chandelier. I've painted a few fixtures (spray paint seems to work the best) and you can't even tell. It's a lot cheaper than buying a new one!

o

Get a can of "chandeliere cleaner" and spray it with that.....let it drip....repeat.....and perhaps again a 3rd time.
You may not love it once it's clean....but at least you will be able to see it!
Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: cleaner

o

When I was about 14 my mother had a chandalier like yours that needed a good cleaning, so while she was out shopping I "cleaned it". She loved the way it looked and how the crystals sparkled. I never told her that I had removed all of the crystals and put them in the dishwasher.

o

Set up alternative lighting nearby (since you won't be able to use the chandelier for lighting while you're cleaning it).
Turn off the chandelier's power at the wall switch. Place a piece of tape over the wall switch so that no one can accidentally turn it on while you're working.
Cover any upward-pointing bulbs with sandwich bags. Secure the bags with rubber bands.
Place a drop cloth below the chandelier.
Mix a solution of one part isopropyl alcohol or ammonia in three parts distilled water. Or, if you don't want to mix your own cleaner, buy a special chandelier cleaner from a lighting retailer. Put some solution in a spray bottle.
Spray every part of the fixture with the cleanser,avoiding wires and other electrical components.
Allow the crystals to drip-dry. If your chandelier is too dirty for this drip-cleaning method, you'll have to hand-wash each individual crystal with the cleaning solution.
Remove the plastic bags from the lights once the crystals have dried, and wipe down light wells and other noncrystal parts with a soft cloth dipped in the cleanser.
Allow the entire fixture to dry overnight before turning its power back on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here