Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

Posted by nickeys (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 06 at 8:56

Yesterday my 9yr old put an oatmeal cookie in the microwave for two minutes. Yes, two minutes!! The house was filled with smoke. I think he knows for sure now that you can't put a cookie in the microwave for that long :o) I've cleaned all the residue from the microwave but when I warm something it still has that burnt smell. Is there any way to get the smell out or am I shopping for a new unit. Thanks for any suggestions.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

I've burnt a few things in my microwave before and it takes a while for the smell to disperse. I suspect that the smell gets in to the air vent where steam is blown out (I have no idea what the technical name is). I'd just give it time, preferably leaving the door open to air it out. You could also leave something that absorbs odours in there while not using it, like a pot of baking soda.


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

Vinegar! It is a miracle solution to this problem. Put vinegar in a cup (I dilute with water, but you can use full strenght if the smell is THAT bad). Nuke it to boiling, let it sit in there a minute, then wipe down the MW. The vinegar smell will go away, leaving no smell. I've done this several times for the nefarious burnt popcorn and it works! Sometimes I have to repeat.


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

I second the vinegar.


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

I second the vinegar solution.

I use white vinegar. I buy it a gallon at a time because I use it for lots of other cleaning jobs.

After I used the vinegar and wiped down the microwave, I put a bowl of plain water in the microwave and nuked it to boiling.

It works very well!


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

Thanks everyone. I'll try that tonight!


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

I cooked "popcorn" on "baked potato" which nearly put the popcorn on fire. The burned smell went away eventually (think I tried vinegar and/or baking soda). The thing that has never gone away is the yellow discoloration on the inside of the microwave. It still works ok though.


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

Chop up a lemon into small wedges and put into a bowl add water to barely cover and nuke till boiling (2-3 mins) leave it in there for an hour or so and then wipe out. Much better smelling than Vinegar. Then take the used lemon and run through your garbage disposal to give it a fresh scent!


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

Discovered a tip that worked better than vinegar or lemon juice. Yesterday I put a bowl of vinegar in my microwave to get rid of a burned smell; today there was no change so I used lemon juice and left doors and windows opened all day--no change. Came across a tip on another site that worked instantly---mix a couple of tablespoons of coffee grounds with water and boil for a couple of minutes--voila--no trace of any odor whatsoever--can't believe it.


 o
RE: Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

Blackened a micro-burger creating billows of thick white smoke. Scrubbed interior alternately with vinegar, baking soda, lemon. Smell still unbearable - vents and interior stained yellow. FINALLY followed someone's suggestion to use pure ACETONE nail polish remover for yellow stains - worked like a charm and did NOT damage the metal enamel interior. I also boiled a solution of lemon and water, and another of vinegar, baking soda and water which didn't help much with the smell. THIS WORKED BEST: In a quart size glass bowl I added 1/4 cup cheap PURE VANILLA (Costco) and a few drops PEPPERMINT OIL mixed with about 1 cup filtered water. Bring to a boil in microwave, uncovered and leave inside to steam for an hour or more then wipe interior dry. I have repeated this dozens of times and smoke odor is almost totally gone, replaced by a faint pleasant vanilla mint smell.

This post was edited by spinningfast on Tue, May 14, 13 at 12:34


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here