Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Clean a Craigslist Wood Dining Set?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 6:47

What's the best way to clean a dining set recently purchased from Craigslist? It is not an antique but probably dates to the 1970s or so. The finish is intact (ie. no bare wood showing through) and I assume (correct?) that it is some type of factory sprayed lacquer. I also assume that, besides dirt, there is buildup from previous sprays/waxing. Should I wipe it down first with mineral spirits? Is that adequate for complete cleaning or does it need to be followed by, say, Murphy's soap? And then is there something you recommend to polish it? Thanks: I don't want to screw it up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Clean a Craigslist Wood Dining Set?

In addition to the answers you get here, you might want to do some reading on the Furniture forum and the Woodworking forum. I imagine this question comes up frequently on those forums.

You might consider the Formby's build-up remover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formby's

o

I've had success with hand-me-down or curb-shopped furniture using "Royal Guardsman" polish. This stuff goes on with a rag, then wipe off. I have found it in my local grocery store. Good luck!

o

I ended up using the Formby's just because it was readily available at my local hardware store. It is a mild solvent and, with a little rubbing, cut through the few sticky spots and made the wood really clean. I followed it with a lemon oil rub and my dining set just gleams! Now on to re-doing the seat cushions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here