Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidr_2002

Cleaning mold without bleach?

DavidR
10 years ago

I have a rental house where the downspouts weren't drained right. The downspouts are fixed now, but there are large areas of grey mold on the basement block in the corners from the moisture. My new tenant (understandably) wants them GONE.

Plan A was to spray down the areas with bleach, let it sit for a while, then power wash. (There are floor drains.)

The problem is that the previous tenant had cats, and they had some accidents on the basement floor. There is a mild but definite urine odor.

I'm concerned that leftover ammonia from the cat urine will react with the bleach, and the resulting chlorine gas will drive me out of the basement (or worse).

I guess I could force-ventilate the basement with fans, but it still seems risky.

Can anyone suggest a good NON-CHLORINE BLEACH cleaner that can remove the mold from the walls? Preferably one that doesn't cost an arm, leg, and the left ear.

The walls don't have to be spotless, but I'd like to get rid of most of the active mold. I plan to paint the walls once they're reasonably clean.

Thanks!

Comments (4)