Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vlynnf

Filmy coating on porcelain tile after cleaning

Vicki
14 years ago

I have new ceramic tile floors in my sunroom. They have a smooth satiny finish to them. I had been cleaning them with soap and water and then I went with just plain hot water. Even using just plain water leaves a streaky apearance where I can see what looks like cloudy film and cloudy streaks when the light hits the floor just right. It's like each scrub pass leaves a hard water or just cloudy, dull marks. The floor does not shine anymore like it did when it was new. I used a Pledge product made for tile floors and it does leave it shiny new, but it seems like a waxy stuff that I wonder if it will build up after time like wax. Is there an art to cleaning porcelain tile floors?

Comments (21)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

You might want to check with the company that installed them and ask what they recommend.

I use a steam cleaner on my ceramic tile.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

I would guess the Pledge product is a big part of your problem.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Was your grout sealed? Perhaps you have having bits of grout leaving a film on your floor.
    And just for kicks, try spraying with a glass cleaner and wiping with a dry cloth....

• wifetojoeiii
    14 years ago

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen - it is a black/grey tile and any dullness or filminess shows up immediately. I also have ceramic tile in the adjoining laundry room. I have used many commercial products & all made the black/grey kitchen floor look terribly dull. I finally found a good mixture/combination that works every time. Mix 1 tablespoon of ammonia with 2 tablespoons of Borax (laundry whitener) with 1 gallon of water (adjust the amounts depending on the amount of water used). Wash the floor with a chamois mop - not a sponge mop. Rinse the mop under running water in the sink - not in the ammonia/Borax/water mix. This next step is important - while the floor is still wet/damp wipe dry with a chamois cloth. I stand on the chamois cloth and walk - or "scooch" across the floor to dry it. My floors always turn out absolutely gorgeous & shiny. Good luck!

• Vicki
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. No my grout is not loose. It is some expensive top of the line type with teflon in it that never needs resealing. I hadn't thought of the temperature of the water making a difference so I tried boiling water tonight and it did not leave streaks. I was amazed. Same water and rag, just different water temperature. I'm going to try some of the other suggestions too.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

We have porcelain tile on a lanai -- the installer said to clean it only with vinegar and water -- anything else leaves a residue that actually attracts dirt.

• krissie55
    14 years ago

I clean porcelain tile with 50/50 alcohol and water. Works great, drys fast, and no streaks. Put mixture in a spray bottle, spray floor, mop with damp mop.

• scarlett2001
    14 years ago

I thought my new steam mop was making the floors cloudy, but the guy at the flooring center says it is from minerals or something in the water. He recommended adding either vinegar or non-sudsing ammonia to the water in the steam mop. I guess you have to experiment to get the right amount.

• Kathleen Caliendo
    8 years ago

This is the most MORONIC thing I've ever heard- putting PLEDGE on your tile and grout. WOW. ...People, never EVER use pledge on anything. Expecially tile and grout. You are going to end up paying for it greatly of you don't stop. Wood preservatives do not have a place on ceramic, porcelain or travertine tile. And by NO MEANS should your tile be shiny- EVER...

• C Marlin
    8 years ago

I'm thinking ... this is the most moronic thing she's ever heard, she really needs to get out more often.

• Vicki
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What dingbats you are. Lol read, it says I used a pledge PRODUCT. Pledge product specifically made for hard floors, tile, etc. Yes, gray wings, thank you. Ok so if you aren't familiar with all their products I can see why maybe you thought it was dusting spray, Kathy but me thinks you do need to get out more or find a more constructive way to vent whatever is bothering you.

• Hope Lyon
    6 years ago

I cleaned a small portion of my porcelain tile with vinegar and water and now it has a dull appearance. Did I strip the glaze? OR is it just really clean now? I would hate to think that the glaze is stripped and now more susceptible to dirt. Would love some advice, thanks!

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

For heavens sake, don't use vinegar on grout. Acids and cement don't mix.

• kolya_s
    6 years ago

I have same problem as you Hope, when I cleaned the grout with water and vinegar the side of the tile turned dull, I tried a couple of cleaning products but none of them worked. Does anyone know if this is fixable or would I have to change the tile? Thank you>

• lindac92
    6 years ago

I have a ceramic kitchen counter.....and after cleaning with that clorox spray cleaner, I spray with windex to bring back the shine and wipe with a dry cloth....and yes, I DO want my ceramic tile to shine!!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I use a weak vinegar-water solution on my tile flooring - haven't had any problems with it. I use a spray bottle and microfiber mop.

• hjcct
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I recently had porcelain tile installed in my house. It is a wood-look Italian tile that is light in color and resembles roble. When viewed in a particular light an imprint can be detected on the face of some of the tile. The imprint is a diamond pattern matching the pattern found on the back of every piece of tile in the box. A tile representative could not explain the cause of the imprint and attempted to remove it using acid. (He also felt that I had grout haze left over from installation.) Long story short; I had the tile professionally cleaned (at the supplier's expense) and much of the imprint is less apparent; however, the tile continues to have a hazy, dirty/dingy or spotty look when natural light shines on it at certain points of the day and in the evening when overhead lights are on. It is difficult to capture in a photo. I have found some blogs/newsletters (issued in Australia) that address consumer dissatisfaction with what is being referred to as "optical haze" (as opposed to "grout haze"). I suspect this may be part of the problem I have - the dingy/splotchy appearance that can be seen on the face of the tile in certain light. Some theories state that the optical haze is caused by a coating on the tile (such as a waxed based coating used by some manufacturers to protect the tile from scratching while in transit). I had the professional that cleaned my tile try a wax solvent on a small spot of my tile, but he advised that he did not get any beading suggestive of a wax coating. (He noted that my tile had a low luster glaze thus a sealant of some sort.) I am interested in hearing about similar problems with tile in the U.S. and how it was corrected and/or whether any consumer complaints were pursued via legal action..

• Cindy Woodward
    3 years ago

I wish I had read this a year ago. I have been dealing with this same problem. Italian porcelain tile that looks like wood.

• cry cla
    3 years ago

I have same problem with wood look porcelain matte finish tile... makes me sick every time the sun shines through my windows!!

• Carole Ryan
    2 years ago

I also have a hazy film on my matte porcelain tile! I had some water leakage from the shower that I missed when drying the floor and it actually left a water stain. Drives me crazy. If I spray a spot with a disinfectant and hand scrub the area after cleaning it is still dirty!! I feel as if there is no finish on the tile at all!! Any more information about cleaning?? Thanks!