Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bleach Tabs in Toilets?

Posted by sarahmakes6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 05 at 22:17

I have never used drop-in-the-tank tablets for keeping toilets clean and lately I'm eyeing them with interest. Do they work? One kind better than another? Long ago I was told that regular use would eat away at the inner workings of the toilet. Is that an old wives tale?

Ready to be enlightened and possibly save myself some scrubbing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bleach Tabs in Toilets?

We're on well & septic, and before we added a conditioning system we used them. Chlorox brand I think. They keep the toilet very clean. However, some say they shouldn't be used if you're on a septic system. Also, I believe they take a toll on the tank bolts and flush mechansim. If you're on city water, you might try them. If you're on a well, be sure your water is in good shape first. Ours was so acidic, the water could eat copper. After adding the conditiner (sediment filter, acid neutralizer, and iron reducer) the bowls stay much cleaner on their own.

o

The only one I have good luck with is the 2000 Flushes.

Pricey little devils, they are. They do work very well. I've never had to replace anything.

o

I have used them and they rotted the rubber gaskety bits in the tank. Had to replace parts.

o

I use the clorox ones - they really work. No ring buildup in between cleanings, and I feel it keeps the potty more sanitary. Have not had any mechanical problems, and I've been using them for about nine years.

o

I've used the Clorox tablets, but stopped because I thought they may damage toilet parts. The main reason is,if the lid was left up, there was a distinct odor of bleach in the bathroom.

o

I used them once, but stopped when I read about how poisonous those things are for the environment and how they interfere with many of the processes used by waste treatment facilities. Besides, there's nothing more effective a good, old fashioned brush!

o

Our plumber told me that the chlorine bleach will erode the flapper (or anything made of rubber) so we should never use in-the-tank cleaning products. I do use a fizzy cleaning tab in the bowl once a week, letting it soak for 10 - 20 mins. & then brushing.

o

So how do you clean a toilet that has sat in an unoccupied house and has developed a real ring around the bowl?

Your basic Lysol cleaner has had no effect.

Then if we can get it clean, how do we keep this from happening in a vacation home?

o

Could it be rust? I bought a house that had been unoccupied for nearly two years. It took several treatments with a rust remover before the stains faded.

o

It is just bleach. It is not going to interfere with waste treatment facilities any more than laundry detergent and bleach in waste water do.
Also as far as deterioration goes, that's why the package says to not use in a toilet unless it's flushed at least once a day. So I don't use one in my least-used basement bathroom. But we have used them for 9 years now, and no ill effects on the inner workings of the toilet so far.

o

Yep, husband is a plumber & he makes me stay away from bleach products in my toilet tank. It's fine to use one of the disinfectant/perfumey products though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here